- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
Gov. to push Arden Hills stadium site for Vikings
How the state raises its proposed $300 million share is one of the major remaining stumbling blocks for stadium backers. Opposition to more gambling is strong in the Legislature, and even a stadium backer like state Sen. John Harrington said he’d have trouble supporting it.
“It really has a negative impact on a lot of people,” said Harrington, a St. Paul Democrat. Proposals to expand gambling are certain to draw vehement opposition from both the state’s American Indian tribes and social conservative advocacy groups.
Harrington said he’d prefer a suggestion first floated by St. Paul Mayor Chris Coleman, a small hike in the state sales tax on liquor sales. But Republican legislative leaders have already drawn a firm line against any state tax increases to help the Vikings.
One more stumbling block is strong opposition among some in Ramsey County to the proposed half-cent county sales tax increase to pay for the local portion of the project. A group of residents is already organizing a petition drive to force a public referendum if the tax is raised, though state lawmakers could overrule a public vote. There, too, stadium backers could meet resistance from Republican legislative leaders, with both House Speaker Kurt Zellers and Senate Majority Leader Amy Koch on record favoring a referendum.
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- 10 million new babies? China's hope for boom likely to become policy bust
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.