- Obama asks Central American leaders for help
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
- HAYDEN: Intelligence, evidence and the case against Russia
- Ohio university quiz implies atheists are naturally smarter than Christians
Michael Jackson tribute draws long list of stars
Question of the Day
The concert has divided the King of Pop’s family and followers. The three brothers, sister La Toya and vocal group 3T _ composed of three of Michael’s nephews _ all performed, while 81-year-old matriarch Katherine was in the audience.
But Michael’s brothers Jermaine and Randy and sister Janet have stayed away, saying it is wrong to hold the show at the same time as Murray’s trial.
Before the show, Marlon Jackson said he respected his siblings’ decision, but said he was sure Michael would have approved.
“Each one of us grieves differently,” he said. “We want to celebrate the positive side of his life, the positive things that he did.”
Some fan groups around also criticized the show for ticket prices that started at about $100 and for what some regard as an out-of-the-way location in Cardiff, 150 miles (240 kilometers) west of London.
“I believe it should wait, not only because of the Murray trial,” said Wesley Noorhoff, president of a Dutch Michael Jackson fan club. “If you do a tribute to Michael, it has to be the best there is, just like Michael.”
But those who came to Cardiff said it was a fitting antidote to the grim courtroom spectacle in Los Angeles.
“There’s a lot of negativity in that courtroom,” said Ronnie Lee, a 32-year-old truck driver from Pembroke, Wales, sporting a “Thriller” T-shirt. “This is a chance to say, ‘Thank you Michael’ and celebrate the music.”
Jill Lawless can be reached at: http://twitter.com/JillLawless
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- Russia shipping sophisticated weapons systems to Ukraine separatists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- White House readies for House GOP impeachment push: 'Foolish' to ignore
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- EDITORIAL: Detroit's water 'spigot bigots'
- Ted Nugent loses second casino gig for 'racist remarks'
- Let it roll: D.C. Council hits Las Vegas on taxpayer's dime, leaves $14,000 tab
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq