- Real-life Dr. Doolittle to reveal how to talk to animals
- Climate change could bring back smallpox, researchers say
- Shoe-bomb witness to speak from London at N.Y. trial
- New evidence could threaten Army sex assault case
- George Zimmerman signs autographs at Orlando gun show
- GOP lawmaker faces fire for NBA crime tweet
- Taliban vow to ‘use all force’ to disrupt Afghan elections
- Atheists sue to remove ‘Ground Zero Cross’ from 9/11 museum
- Bishop in Aleppo: ‘We Christians live in fear in Syria’
- Oscar Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
James Murdoch faces second grilling in Parliament
LONDON (AP) - James Murdoch is being recalled for another grilling before Britain's Parliament after former News Corp. executives raised serious doubts about his account of his role in the country’s tabloid phone hacking scandal.
The committee of lawmakers investigating the scandal hopes to tie up “one or two loose ends” by recalling the younger Murdoch, committee Chairman John Whittingdale said Tuesday. The committee said News Corp. chief Rupert Murdoch _ who appeared alongside his son at a July 19 U.K. hearing that was televised around the world _ was not being recalled.
The two Murdochs gave a dramatic performance earlier this summer, apologizing for a scandal that has shaken Britain’s establishment but refusing to accept responsibility for the illegal behavior which happened at newspapers under their watch.
But a string of ex-News Corp. employees have cast doubt on several claims made by the father-and-son media magnates.
Former News of the World tabloid editor Colin Myler and former legal adviser Tom Crone insisted that James Murdoch was wrong when he claimed not to have been aware of a critical piece of evidence suggesting that illegal espionage was far more widespread at the tabloid then was being claimed at the time.
Myler and Crone insist that Murdoch was explicitly told about the evidence in a 2008 meeting _ raising the possibility that James Murdoch authorized a massive phone hacking payout in an effort to bury the scandal and then lied to parliament about it in July.
“Clearly, there are different accounts which we have heard,” Whittingdale told Sky News television. “We have spent some time questioning Tom Crone and Colin Myler last week about their version of what happened. We would want to put that to James Murdoch and hear more about how he recalls the meeting.”
James Murdoch has stood by his testimony and his company has criticized Myler and Crone’s evidence as confused and contradictory. A spokeswoman for News Corp., where James Murdoch serves as deputy chief operating officer, said he was “happy to appear in front of the select committee to answer any further questions.”
Alice Macandrew said the company would “await details of the committee’s request.”
Whittingdale told Sky that his committee was “beginning to reach the end of its deliberations” but didn’t give a specific date for the new testimony. He also said he wanted to quiz Les Hinton, Rupert Murdoch’s former right-hand man, and Mark Lewis, a lawyer for many people who have sued the tabloid for hacking into their phones.
Neither Hinton nor Lewis immediately returned messages seeking comment. Hinton, the former publisher of Murdoch’s U.S. flagship, The Wall Street Journal, is the most senior executive to resign in the hacking scandal.
At least 16 people have been arrested over the phone hacking scandal, in which News of the World stands accused of illegally hacking into the voice mails of celebrities, politicians and even murder victims in search of scoops. Those arrested include Andy Coulson, the former top communications aide for Prime Minister David Cameron.
Murdoch was forced to shut down the top-selling tabloid and abandon his multibillion-pound (dollar) bid for full control of satellite broadcaster BSkyB in the wake of the hacking controversy.
Several senior Murdoch aides, as well as two British police leaders, have also had to resign.
In a separate development Tuesday, a lawyer said in a British High Court that the mother of a July 7, 2005 London transit bombing victim was among those suing the News of the World over allegations of illegal espionage.
Hugh Tomlinson says Sheila Henry, whose son Christian Small was killed in the 2005 suicide bombings, was among those seeking damages from the now-defunct British paper.
It wasn’t immediately clear whether she or her son had been spied upon by News of the World journalists.
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- CURL: Today's GOP really is Reagan's 'Big Tent' party
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Arrest made in Ohio bar shooting that killed 3
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
- As Crimea falls, Obama takes Key Largo golf vacation, Biden hits Virgin Islands
- Charges filed against accused 'shadow campaign' financier
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again