- Spain, Morocco break up jihadist recruitment cell, arrest 7
- Muslim insurgents shoot then set on fire Buddhist teacher in Thailand
- Air Force cadets ‘revolt’ after officials remove biblical verse from whiteboard
- Rep. Lee: Paul Ryan out of touch with urban Americans
- House votes down resolution to force Issa to apologize
- Kremlin blocks opposition websites; Kasparov fears Putin plans ‘something drastic’
- Saving trees? EPA wastes $1.5 million storing unneeded pamphlets in warehouse
- Scott Brown Senate bid in New Hampshire may launch soon
- Jeffrey Corzine, son of ex-N.J. governor, dead at 31
- Australian surfing magazine sorry for calling indigenous surfer ‘apeish’
Will rib and lung injuries sideline Tony Romo?
ASHBURN, Va. — Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett is holding out hope quarterback Tony Romo will play in Monday night's game against the Washington Redskins.
Garrett said Wednesday that Romo has been receiving treatment for a fractured rib and punctured lung and "hopefully he'll be ready" for the game against the Cowboys' NFC East rival.
Dallas' players had an extra day off Wednesday. They resume practice Thursday. Garrett said receivers Miles Austin(hamstring) and Dez Bryant (bruised thigh) are day to day.
Giants WR Hixon done for season
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — New York Giants receiver Domenik Hixon will miss the rest of the season after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee for the second straight year.
Hixon was hurt Monday night making a juggling catch on a 22-yard touchdown pass from Eli Manning in the Giants 28-16 win over the St. Louis Rams.
* Two-time Pro Bowl defensive end Osi Umenyiora did not take part in the Giants' walk-through workout. Coach Tom Coughlin said Umenyiora is listed as day to day and it is uncertain he will make his 2011 debut against Philadelphia on Sunday.
Vick aiming to play against Giants
PHILADELPHIA — Michael Vick took a small step toward returning from a concussion. Vick took part in a morning walkthrough Wednesday, but didn't practice in the afternoon. There is a chance he will play against the New York Giants on Sunday.
"It's hard to give you the future because you have to do things the right way and go through the process," coach Andy Reid said.
Vick was injured in Philadelphia's 35-31 loss to the Falcons in Atlanta on Sunday night, and was forced to leave the game in the second half.
Around the league
• JETS: New York All-Pro center Nick Mangold has a high ankle sprain and his right foot is in a boot, but he's still preparing as if he'll play against at Oakland on Sunday. Mangold was hurt last Sunday during the the Jets' win over Jacksonville.
• BILLS: Receiver Steve Johnson missed practice to rest a groin injury as Buffalo prepared to host AFC East rival New England. Before practice Wednesday, Johnson said the injury, which has been bothering him for a month, felt betterand that it's responding to treatment.
• COLTS: Indianapolis quarterback Peyton Manning was back at practice Wednesday, the second time this week he was seen taking laps around the practice field. The only four-time MVP in league history is expected to miss at least two months and possibly the entire season after having neck surgery to repair a herniated disk Sept. 8.
By Bob Dole
The industrious island has proved itself worthy of U.S. inclusion
- F-35 secrets now showing up in Chinas stealth fighter
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- U.S.: Malaysia plane's on-board communications purposely shut down
- USS Kidd sent to Indian Ocean after 'indication' of Malaysian jet crash
- Oil rig worker says he saw missing plane go down: report
- EDITORIAL: Lois Lerner's dilemma
- PRUDEN: Sink sank own campaign in Florida special election
- Justice Department refuses info on hundreds of prosecutor misconduct cases
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- College group's diversity event canceled after excluding white people
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again