- Putin tells Merkel that Ukraine is on the brink of civil war
- San Antonio mayor to Obama: Give amnesty to illegals with legal families
- NYPD disbands unit that spied on Muslims to go after ‘real bad guys’
- Donald Rumsfeld has ‘no idea’ if he paid taxes correctly
- Bradley Manning named honorary grand marshal of San Francisco Pride parade
- Look out PayPal: Facebook working toward mobile payments system
- U.S. rebukes Iran’s U.N. envoy pick over 1979 embassy attack
- Stoned mom avoids jail after driving 12 miles with baby on roof
- More than 100 ‘inappropriate’ encounters between NYC school staffers, students since 2009: report
- Joe Biden to Boston bombing survivors: ‘America will never, ever stand down’
Women’s hoops roster set for Pan Am Games
“You can’t worry about that,” he said. “We lost one of my future stars to a torn ACL when she got hurt during pregame introductions while getting a chest-bump a few years ago.”
Gonzaga will open up against Hofstra on Nov. 11. Like the Zags, Hofstra has its own star _ Shante Evans _ on the U.S. Pan Am roster.
Hofstra coach Krista Kilburn-Steveskey wouldn’t let Evans miss this great chance.
“It’s a wonderful opportunity for all these kids to make this team to get in that USA family,” Kilburn-Steveskey said. “You can get yourself on the map.”
After Kilburn-Steveskey got the call from Callan that Evans had made the team, she reached her star player at home. The Hofstra coach made sure Evans’ mom and dad were listening when she delivered the good news. She heard screams of joy.
“This is the biggest moment of my career,” Evans said. “I’m honored to be representing my country when I step onto that court.”
Despite being the youngest member of the team, Stewart already has the most international experience in the group, helping the U.S. earn a gold medal in July as a member of the FIBA U-19 world championship team.
“I think for the most part I feel prepared because most of my coaches have been college coaches on some level, but I think it’s going to be different because the players will be much older than the college players I played with this past summer,” Stewart said. “The coaching staff, they’ve been coaching for a long time and have a lot of experience.”
Follow Doug Feinberg at http://twitter.com/dougfeinberg.
By returning to goodness, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- HURT: Wilson and Obama ... 100 years apart, but so alike
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- U.S. military on high alert as Ukraine troops trade gunfire with pro-Russian militants
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- HHS nominee Sylvia Burwell entangled in MetLife lawsuit
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes