- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Government OKs Arab-owned company to operate U.S. cargo port
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell’s wife had ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
Tuning in to TV
Question of the Day
Mr. Ratner and Mr. Murphy worked together on their latest film, “Tower Heist,” and the director casually floated the notion of hosting the Oscars by the star.
“And Eddie said, ‘Wow, that would be a brilliant idea for you and me to do the Oscars together,’ ” Mr. Ratner recalled.
“I was like, ‘Are you serious?’ ” Mr. Ratner said in an interview. He called Mr. Mischer, his co-producer, who immediately warned him not to get his hopes up.
“I said, ‘Not a chance,’ ” the veteran TV director and producer said. “Everybody wants Eddie Murphy. He’s a comedic genius, he’s a brilliant impersonator. … So many times through the years I’ve tried to get Eddie Murphy to agree to come be on a show, and generally he kind of stays to himself and has not been interested in it.”
Mr. Murphy made a rare TV appearance in April on the inaugural Comedy Awards, which Mr. Mischer produced, when the 50-year-old entertainer accepted the Comedy Icon award.
By contrast, when Mr. Murphy was nominated for an Oscar for 2006’s “Dreamgirls,” he did very few interviews and reportedly left the ceremony as soon as his category was announced. (Alan Arkin won for “Little Miss Sunshine.”)
The 84th annual Academy Awards will be presented Feb. 26 at the Kodak Theatre.
ABC’s Harrison to stay as Miss America host
Miss America is sticking with “The Bachelor” host Chris Harrison, at least for another two years.
The ABC host, who has been front-and-center for the network on several reality competitions, awards shows and last year’s Scripps National Spelling Bee, told the Associated Press he’s happy to help the pageant showcase young women who’ve become top role models from throughout the country.
“It’s not about you [as host],” Mr. Harrison said. “It’s about these amazing women that have dedicated their lives to this one moment.”
Next year’s pageant is scheduled to air live Jan. 14 from the Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino in Las Vegas.
The pageant’s announcement comes as it marks the 90th anniversary of its first competition this week. Back in 1921 — when Margaret Gorman was crowned — it was little more than a bathing revue. Today, the Miss America Organization touts itself as the country’s largest provider of scholarships to young women, giving more than $45 million last year.
The pageant returned to network television this year for the first time since 2004. It aired in the meantime on cable with CMT and TLC but found itself without a TV deal in March 2010 until ABC picked it up for a three-year deal.
Regis Philbin to retire from show Nov. 18
TWT Video Picks
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- HURT: Impeaching Obama is a losing strategy for the GOP
- GOP Senate candidate: Obama needs to visit Central America
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Kerry's credibility questioned as fighting in Gaza rages
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world