- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
Salahi says he’s running for Va. governor
Question of the Day
The socialite who befuddled White House security in 2009 before having an epic falling-out with his now-estranged wife Michaele says he's running for governor of Virginia.
Tareq Salahi, who was sued by Attorney General Kenneth T. Cuccinelli earlier this week over his wine tour business, has contacted the state Board of Elections to determine the requirements to run for office.
The gossip website TMZ posted a purported declaration of candidacy from Mr. Salahi on its website, but Matt Abell with the Board of Elections said it wouldn't do much good at this point. Candidates cannot officially file until next year.
"I talked with him and his campaign manager … about the ballot access procedures in 2013," said Mr. Abell. "It's well before anything like it would need to be done."
Others who have declared candidacy include Mr. Cuccinelli and Lt. Gov. Bill Bolling, both Republicans. No Democrats have officially declared their candidacy, but former Democratic National Committee Chairman and energy efficient automobile entrepreneur Terry McAuliffe, who launched an unsuccessful bid for the job in 2009, and state Sen. J. Chapman Petersen, Fairfax, have both indicated interest.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
David Sherfinski covers politics for The Washington Times. He can be reached at email@example.com.
- Williams: First lady didn't discuss her relationship with husband
- Williams: Maureen McDonnell's high-dollar requests seemed excessive
- Trips, loans for McDonnell family detailed at trial
- Star witness in Bob McDonnell corruption trial refutes 'crush' defense
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell's wife had 'crush' on CEO
Latest Blog Entries
- Dick Cheney: Hillary Clinton 'clearly bears responsibility' on Benghazi
- Holder vows to press ahead on gun control fight
- Seven of 10 prefer that Obama work with Congress, not go around it: Poll
- Schumer: Tea party hasn't let Obama put his policies into effect
- GOP official: Black not running for Wolf's House seat
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Pentagon wants extra $19M to equip, train Ukrainian troops
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- Australia issues arrest warrant for men believed to be homegrown ISIL terrorists
- Iraq Christians get meeting with top Obama aide
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors