- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Middle Eastern firm’s deal to manage U.S. cargo port raises security concerns
- Bob McDonnell’s defense: Lonely wife developed ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House Republicans unveil bill to speed deportations of border children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
Movie Scores: How the critics rated the new movies
Question of the Day
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Critics weren't exactly clamoring to walk down the aisle with "The Five-Year Engagement." The latest Judd Apatow production is receiving merely average reviews in its opening weekend.
Jason Segel and Emily Blunt star as an engaged couple who run into several obstacles on their way to wedded bliss. AP Movie Critic Christy Lemire gave the movie just two stars out of four, saying: "`The Five-Year Engagement' is so scattered and overlong, it really feels like it lasts five years, and even the inherent likability of stars Jason Segel and Emily Blunt cannot overcome the film's pervasive sense of strain."
Receiving even worse reviews was "The Raven," starring John Cusack as Edgar Allan Poe. AP Movie Writer David Germain gave it just one and a half stars, writing: "John Cusack makes a terrible Poe, the somber role as one of literature's great tortured souls spotlighting his limitations as an actor."
Here's a look at how these movies and others fared on the top review websites as of Friday afternoon. Each score is the percentage of positive reviews for the film:
_ "The Pirates! Band of Misfits": Metacritic, 74; Movie Review Intelligence, 74; Rotten Tomatoes, 87. Average: 78.3.
_ "Sound of My Voice": Metacritic, 66; Movie Review Intelligence, 78; Rotten Tomatoes, 81. Average: 75.
_ "Bernie": Metacritic, 72; Movie Review Intelligence, 67.8; Rotten Tomatoes, 76. Average: 71.9.
_ "The Five-Year Engagement": Metacritic, 59; Movie Review Intelligence, 59.3; Rotten Tomatoes, 60. Average: 59.4.
_ "Safe": Metacritic, 55; Movie Review Intelligence, 55.9; Rotten Tomatoes, 56. Average: 55.6.
_ "The Raven": Metacritic, 46; Movie Review Intelligence, 42.9; Rotten Tomatoes, 19. Average: 36.
TWT Video Picks
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- McCLAUGHRY: Finish off the "Islamic State" quickly and cheaply
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world