- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Movie Scores: How the critics rated the new movies
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Critics weren't exactly clamoring to walk down the aisle with "The Five-Year Engagement." The latest Judd Apatow production is receiving merely average reviews in its opening weekend.
Jason Segel and Emily Blunt star as an engaged couple who run into several obstacles on their way to wedded bliss. AP Movie Critic Christy Lemire gave the movie just two stars out of four, saying: "`The Five-Year Engagement' is so scattered and overlong, it really feels like it lasts five years, and even the inherent likability of stars Jason Segel and Emily Blunt cannot overcome the film's pervasive sense of strain."
Receiving even worse reviews was "The Raven," starring John Cusack as Edgar Allan Poe. AP Movie Writer David Germain gave it just one and a half stars, writing: "John Cusack makes a terrible Poe, the somber role as one of literature's great tortured souls spotlighting his limitations as an actor."
Here's a look at how these movies and others fared on the top review websites as of Friday afternoon. Each score is the percentage of positive reviews for the film:
_ "The Pirates! Band of Misfits": Metacritic, 74; Movie Review Intelligence, 74; Rotten Tomatoes, 87. Average: 78.3.
_ "Sound of My Voice": Metacritic, 66; Movie Review Intelligence, 78; Rotten Tomatoes, 81. Average: 75.
_ "Bernie": Metacritic, 72; Movie Review Intelligence, 67.8; Rotten Tomatoes, 76. Average: 71.9.
_ "The Five-Year Engagement": Metacritic, 59; Movie Review Intelligence, 59.3; Rotten Tomatoes, 60. Average: 59.4.
_ "Safe": Metacritic, 55; Movie Review Intelligence, 55.9; Rotten Tomatoes, 56. Average: 55.6.
_ "The Raven": Metacritic, 46; Movie Review Intelligence, 42.9; Rotten Tomatoes, 19. Average: 36.
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Vietnam says it may have found door of missing Malaysian jet as intel look into stolen passports
- CPAC 2014 straw poll results
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- PIPES: Islam's inadvertent adverse effects on adherents
- CARSON: Why did the founders give us the Second Amendment?
- Italy outraged over U.S. gun dealer's 'David' ad
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again