- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
Giants’ Cabrera suspended for positive drug test
Cabrera came to the Giants in a trade with Kansas City last November that sent left-hander Jonathan Sanchez to the Royals. Cabrera _ who signed a $6 million, one-year deal to avoid salary arbitration _ batted .305 with 44 doubles, 18 homers and 87 RBIs last season.
He is a big reason San Francisco began play Wednesday tied with the Los Angeles Dodgers atop the NL West. Cabrera had been listed in the original lineup Wednesday, batting third and playing left field. Gregor Blanco replaced Cabrera. Bochy said he wrote that lineup before notice of the suspension.
“We are a team. We’re trying to make the playoffs,” Pablo Sandoval said. “We’re going to fight.”
San Francisco said it will not make a roster move until Thursday’s off day before opening a weekend series at San Diego. The clubhouse was closed before the game when the news of Cabrera’s suspension broke.
“Sad, man,” Cano said. “He’s a friend. I’m going to be there for him. I never talked to him about anything like that. Sad day.”
San Francisco optioned reliever Dan Otero to Triple-A Fresno after Wednesday’s game and is expected to call up two hitters Friday in San Diego. Bochy and general manager Brian Sabean also plan to discuss who might be available outside the organization.
“It’s a big loss to any team,” shortstop Brandon Crawford said. “He was having an MVP-type season.”
AP Sports Writers Ronald Blum and Howie Rumberg in New York contributed to this report.
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.