Maryland will receive federal funds to assist with the cost of repairs after a destructive storm at the end of June.
State officials estimated $19.4 million worth of damages, with $10.3 million in Montgomery County alone, said Ed McDonough, spokesman for the Maryland Emergency Management Agency.
Funds will be used to reimburse state and local governments and some non-profit organizations for emergency response costs and infrastructure repairs.
The funding from the Federal Emergency Management Agency will cover 75 percent of all reimbursements, while the remaining 25 percent will be covered by state and local agencies.
Almost two-thirds of Maryland’s damage costs were from debris removal, said John Harding Jr., Maryland Emergency Management Agency deputy public assistance officer. Nearly the rest of the costs were from emergency protective measures, like emergency electrical repairs or cooling shelters. Only a small portion was from buildings that were damaged, he said.
Maryland was also granted hazard mitigation funds to prevent future damages.
A powerful storm damaged much of the region the weekend of June 29. Maryland is the latest state to receive funding, joining West Virginia, Virginia and the District.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Independent voices from the TWT Communities
Reading the news for solutions and practical insight for progress, enduring peace, and shared prosperity.
Contributions to the Communities Sports desk from readers.
Politics, economics, and business from a real world perspective.
Taking a deeper look at the undeniable connection between mind and body from a writer and speaker on matters of health, and a practitioner of Christian Science.
Tea Party blasts IRS
Frederick Douglass statue unveiled
World's Ugliest Dog Contest
Spelling Bee finale
Marines train Afghan soldiers
Rolling Thunder 2013