- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
Briefly: Seoul court ends law requiring real names online
Report: Noda to call election in November
TOKYO — Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda has told top opposition politicians he plans to call a general election in early November, Kyodo news agency reported Thursday.
The agency cited senior lawmakers from the opposition Liberal Democratic Party as its source, but did not immediately give further details.
Mr. Noda was forced to promise the opposition an early general election to gain its support in parliament two weeks ago for a bill to double Japan’s sales tax.
The legislation was an attempt to partially plug the country’s vast deficit, and was supported by international bodies, newspapers and most domestic commentators.
But surveys show less than half the electorate approved.
Its passage was a rare tangible achievement in the revolving door world of Japanese leaders that has seen six prime ministers in as many years, but could cost Mr. Noda, who has only been in office for 11 months, his job.
• From wire dispatches and staff reports
TWT Video Picks
By Joy Overbeck
Redemption by government is futile
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Chavez seizes Cargill factory
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.