- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
- Foreign minister vows response if Russians are attacked in Ukraine
Briefly: Seoul court ends law requiring real names online
Report: Noda to call election in November
TOKYO — Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda has told top opposition politicians he plans to call a general election in early November, Kyodo news agency reported Thursday.
The agency cited senior lawmakers from the opposition Liberal Democratic Party as its source, but did not immediately give further details.
Mr. Noda was forced to promise the opposition an early general election to gain its support in parliament two weeks ago for a bill to double Japan’s sales tax.
The legislation was an attempt to partially plug the country’s vast deficit, and was supported by international bodies, newspapers and most domestic commentators.
But surveys show less than half the electorate approved.
Its passage was a rare tangible achievement in the revolving door world of Japanese leaders that has seen six prime ministers in as many years, but could cost Mr. Noda, who has only been in office for 11 months, his job.
• From wire dispatches and staff reports
TWT Video Picks
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- Georgia governor signs bill expanding gun rights
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Harry Reid using tax dollars to fight Koch brothers, La. GOP chair charges
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
- Professor apologizes after blasting Republicans in class
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014