- Pope Francis wins another ‘Person of the Year’ — from gay rights magazine
- Rep. Steve Stockman: Give my campaign $10, and you’ll get an Obama barf bag
- Putin: Russia to buy $15 billion in Ukraine bonds
- Expert: Obamacare ‘death spiral’ fears exaggerated
- Alabama firefighters dig for survivors of apartment blast
- Big Sur wildfire destroys home of firefighting chief
- ‘ ’Twas the Night Before Christmas’ set for mock trial to argue authorship
- Angela Merkel’s third term as Germany’s chancellor to be marked by move to left
- Mega Millions entices with record-setting jackpot: Half a billion so far
- Dennis Rodman heads to North Korea — despite execution, political purge
Ryan says ticket won’t ‘duck the tough issues,’ will repeal Obamacare
Even as the convention looked forward to Mr. Romney, it took a reverential look back at the former Bush presidents with a video in which they joked and remembered their days in the Oval Office. At one point, the senior Mr. Bush did his own impression of comic Dana Carvey doing an impression of him.
Former first lady Laura Bush also recalled the time a dog bit a reporter, drawing cheers and laughs from the Republican delegates.
The evening also featured speeches from several of the Republicans who were reportedly on Mr. Romney’s short list of vice presidential nominees, though none had anywhere near the star-power performance of Mr. Ryan.
Former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty compared Mr. Obama to a bad tattoo — something that you think is cool when you’re young, but you come to regret later. Sen. Rob Portman of Ohio joked about being on the short list but missing the cut: “Apparently, it wasn’t short enough.”
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Stephen Dinan can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Democrats urge courts to clear NSA phone-records intelligence collection program
- White House is obstructing probe on Navy Yard shooter, NSA leaker, Darrell Issa says
- Social Security to run 12% deficit for next decade
- Feinstein: Judge got NSA ruling wrong
- Rep. Frank Wolf to retire from Northern Virginia seat
Latest Blog Entries
By John R. Bolton
The president fiddles at his domestic altar while the world burns
- PRUDEN: The scam that will not die
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House
- Robert E. Lee and 'Stonewall' Jackson tributes face Army War College removal
- Wasted: Tom Coburn's 'Wastebook targets 70 days in bed, Facebook
- Embassy Row: India strikes back over diplomat's arrest
- Zadzooks: The Joker sixth scale figure review (Sideshow Collectibles)
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Colorado revolt: 55 of 62 sheriffs refuse to enforce new gun laws
- Army to cut up to 4,000 captains and majors
- U.S. downplays Saudi prince's criticism of Obama's Middle East policies
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Television commentary, reviews, news and nonstop DVR catch-up by Lisa King Dolloff and friends.
Wall Street news for retail investors who want to know what's going on.
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow