- North Korea: Not a single vote cast against Kim Jong-un
- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
PGA Championship capsules
Worldwide wins: 63.
Majors: U.S. Open (1994, 1997), British Open (2002, 2012).
Best 2012 performances: Won the British Open.
2012 majors: Masters-DNP, US Open-9, British Open-1.
Backspin: Is the Big Easy more like Padraig Harrington or Darren Clarke? Harrington in 2008 was the last player to follow a British Open title with the PGA Championship. On other side is Clarke, who finally captured a major at age 42 and spent the next year celebrating. Els could be somewhere in between. He won his fourth major and has long felt he belonged in the Seve Ballesteros (5 majors) or Nick Faldo (6 majors) territory. He says he quit thinking about the career Grand Slam. Expect an easy approach to Kiawah, for it’s the Masters next April that really gets his attention.
Country: United States.
World ranking: 13.
Worldwide wins: 5.
Best 2012 performances: Won the WGC-Match Play Championship and Houston Open.
2012 majors: Masters-T12, US Open-T38, British Open-T19.
Backspin: Mahan is perplexed why he is only No. 8 in the Ryder Cup standings with two wins this year, including a World Golf Championship. Part of that is his moderate performances in the majors. As well as he hits the ball, that remains the one thing holding him back from being mentioned with the elite. His lone chance was the U.S. Open at Bethpage, when his shot to the 16th hit the pin and caromed away. He no longer surprises anyone, but he could sneak up on this one.
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Investigators puzzle: How does a 777 jetliner just disappear into thin air?
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- CPAC 2014: Straw poll signals Paul-Cruz showdown
- Russia besieges Crimea as U.S. seeks diplomacy; Putin remains undeterred by Obama's sanctions
- U.S. deploys 12 F-16 fighter jets to Poland as exercise in response to Ukraine situation
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Spoiled-kid culture creates greedy adults
- 80 people publicly executed across North Korea for films, Bibles
- As Ukraine falls, Obama takes Key Largo golf vacation, Biden hits Virgin Islands
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again