A Capitol Heights house fire that killed a 5-year-old girl and critically injured two more was the result of an overloaded electrical circuit, according to the Prince George’s County fire department.
The girl’s 24-year-old father and 15-year-old uncle were both in critical condition as of Thursday morning.
The three were napping upstairs when the fire broke out, officials said.
The father, awakened by the smoke alarm, was in the front yard suffering from serious burns when police arrived. He was unable to reach his daughter and brother. They were both trapped upstairs, officials said. All three were transported to the hospital, but the 5-year-old, identified as Jade Buffaloe, died soon after arrival.
Wednesday afternoon’s fire, which took 30 minutes to extinguish, started in the first-floor living room of the two-story brick duplex.
It appears to have been started by an air conditioner powered by an extension cord and a power strip, officials said.
Officials estimate $150,000 in damages.
The family in the attached home was also temporarily displaced, but suffered no serious damage, officials said.
The investigation is continuing.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Andrew P. Napolitano
The president's men trash the Constitution to pursue antagonists
Independent voices from the TWT Communities
First over-the-counter column approved for fast and effective relief from even your worst media-induced headache.
Opinion, analysis, and musings on politics, pop culture, reinvention, and the resultant flotsam and jetsam floating around the right-of-center quadrant of the Left Coast.
Consummate traveler Todd DeFeo explores the unique stories that make destinations worth going to.
We welcome you to the intimate and personal thoughts on the news and events we, as editors, watch, read, and discuss with our writers every day.
Benghazi: The anatomy of a scandal
Vietnam Memorial adds four names
Cinco de Mayo on the Mall
NRA kicks off annual convention