- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Police investigate shooting, robbery of armored truck guard
Question of the Day
Police are searching for the men who shot an armored truck guard and stole something from the parking lot of an Oxon Hill Save-A-Lot on Tuesday afternoon.
The guard, who police spokesman Lt. William Alexander said was shot on the upper half of his body, is in serious condition at a hospital.
Lt. Alexander said that two guards working for Loomis Armored Car were in the store's parking lot on the 6300 block of Livingston Road to drop off money just after 1 p.m. While one of the guards was unloading something from the vehicle, a silver four-door vehicle pulled up nearby. Three or four black males, possibly wearing masks, got out of the car and engaged in a confrontation with the guard, Lt. Alexander said. They managed to take something from the guard — though police could not confirm Tuesday afternoon if it was money or something else. One of the men shot the guard, and they all left the scene in the vehicle.
Police have not identified any suspects and did not have a further description of their vehicle. Lt. Alexander said that the incident was caught on video surveillance cameras.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Megan Poinski is the former deputy metro editor at The Washington Times. She has worked as a reporter, editor and web designer for more than a decade, covering mostly local, state and federal government in Ohio, Maryland and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Throughout her career, she has received reporting awards from the Scripps Howard Foundation, Capitolbeat, and Associated Press Managing ...
TWT Video Picks
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- EPSTEIN: All IRS roads lead to the archivist
- HAYDEN: Intelligence, evidence and the case against Russia
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- KUHNER: Will Russia-Ukraine be Europe's next war?
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq