- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
Zadzooks: Guardians of Middle-earth review
Question of the Day
Having never played a MOBA, I was pleasantly surprised by how enjoyable and addictive the wars became. Also, batches of help screens and tips spelled out the depth of building characters and succeeding in matches. Completely playing through the tutorial even unlocks Gandalf the Wizard.
Additionally, the design of menu screens ties in the love of trading-card games (characters’ stats are pulled up via illustrated cards) and those mini-figures on the field got my pop-culture collectibility geek roaring with approval.
Although Tolkien purists will consider the teaming of villain and hero sacrilege, (Would Gandalf ever help Sauron, ever?), the character models and their power effects on screen bring beauty to the chaos while plenty of well-known war cries from “Lord of the Rings” legends are inspiring.
Guardians of Middle-earth will not only please the casual fan of the Tolkien fantasy world, but also give new gamers a way to enjoy the MOBA experience through its watered-down appeal while not completely alienating the hard-core audience of the genre.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
A graduate of Northwestern University with a degree in communications, Joseph Szadkowski has written about popular culture for The Washington Times for the past 17 years. He covers video games, comic books, new media and technology.
- ZADZOOKS: Guardians of the Galaxy, Drax the Destroyer review
- ZADZOOKS: Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty review
- ZADZOOKS: Batman '66 Meets the Green Hornet review
- ZADZOOKS: Sniper Elite III review
- Zadzooks: Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season Six review (Blu-ray)
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Isaac Orr
New carbon-dioxide rules would put America in the dark
- House GOP resurrects border bill, predicts successful Friday vote
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- Pentagon wants extra $19M to equip, train Ukrainian troops
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors