- Congressman: McAuliffe victory means gun control a winning message
- Clinton aide admits soliciting disgraced D.C. fundraiser; says actions were legal
- Joel Osteen church victimized in $600K theft
- Obama goes shopping at Gap as minimum-wage thanks
- N.J. woman charged after client dies from black-market butt injections
- CIA chief Brennan ‘determined’ to speak out more this year
- Reset? What reset? U.S.-Russia ties at worst since Cold War
- 9/11 terror recruiter released in Syrian prisoner swap
- D.C. elections board gives green light to marijuana legalization initiative
- Elephants can tell difference between human languages: study
Zadzooks: Guardians of Middle-earth review
Having never played a MOBA, I was pleasantly surprised by how enjoyable and addictive the wars became. Also, batches of help screens and tips spelled out the depth of building characters and succeeding in matches. Completely playing through the tutorial even unlocks Gandalf the Wizard.
Additionally, the design of menu screens ties in the love of trading-card games (characters’ stats are pulled up via illustrated cards) and those mini-figures on the field got my pop-culture collectibility geek roaring with approval.
Although Tolkien purists will consider the teaming of villain and hero sacrilege, (Would Gandalf ever help Sauron, ever?), the character models and their power effects on screen bring beauty to the chaos while plenty of well-known war cries from “Lord of the Rings” legends are inspiring.
Guardians of Middle-earth will not only please the casual fan of the Tolkien fantasy world, but also give new gamers a way to enjoy the MOBA experience through its watered-down appeal while not completely alienating the hard-core audience of the genre.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
A graduate of Northwestern University with a degree in communications, Joseph Szadkowski has written about popular culture for The Washington Times for the past 17 years. He covers video games, comic books, new media and technology.
- ZADZOOKS: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze review
- ZADZOOKS: The Last of Us: Left Behind review
- ZADZOOKS: The Lego Movie Videogame review
- Zadzooks: Justice League: War review (Blu-ray)
- ZADZOOKS: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII review
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
An America drowning in red ink is the land of the free no more
- David Jolly wins in Florida, GOP keeps swing district seat
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- House Democrats trying to force unemployment insurance vote
- Redskins bypass big splash - for now - as free agency period begins
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- FCC targets black conservative in TV station fight
- Atheists sue to remove 'Ground Zero Cross' from 9/11 museum
- Sharyl Attkisson resigns from CBS after months of talks
- 80 people publicly executed across North Korea for films, Bibles
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again