- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
Bowhunter’s SOS gunshots backfire in wrong part of deer season
“It’s always upsetting when something like that happens,” Mr. East said. “But the vast majority of these incidents are preventable if you follow the basic rules of hunting.”
Mr. East said a hunter will use a rapid, three-shot signal in case of an emergency, but a shooter should always know where his target is and what the bullet could hit if he were to miss it.
Along with pointing their guns in a safe direction, Mr. East said, hunters should treat every gun as though it’s loaded and keep away from the trigger until ready to shoot.
And while he understood that “anytime somebody gets shot, whether it’s hunting or game-related, it gets reported,” Mr. East said, the actual percentage of injuries is quite low, given the millions of people who go hunting each season.
A report issued by the National Shooting Sports Foundation showed that of the 16.3 million people who went hunting with firearms in 2010, about 8,100 were injured — or roughly one per 2,000 hunters.
Compared to the sport shooting federation’s tallies of one injury in 77 people playing baseball, or one in 19 people hurt playing tackle football, the federation ranked hunting as one of the safest activities.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Meredith Somers is a Metro reporter for The Washington Times. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- No rest for the retired: Cardinal McCarrick on a mission for peace in Africa
- The sun also rises on Easter in the District
- Higher Ground: Colbert the Catholic
- Feeling taxed today? How about a prayer to St. Matthew?
- 'Matzah Factory' provides hands-on experience for learning about Passover
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
Team Obama's bizarre behavior helps Gitmo terrorists foil justice
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- With pot and e-cigarettes, Big Tobacco is just waiting to inhale emerging markets
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- KEENE: Familiar refrains from Britain's 'Tea Party'
- Skeptics on all sides take aim of John Kerry's tentative deal on Ukraine
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.