- Prison inmates take up ‘Knockout’ game, target female officers
- U.S. Army hails success with drone-shooting laser
- John Kerry: Israel-Palestinian peace deal paved for April
- India diplomat who touts women’s rights busted for $3 wage to nanny
- MSNBC host Ed Schultz paid $252K by unions in 2012-2013
- Korean War memorial ordered to take down Christian cross
- Billy Graham near death, ‘close to going home to be with the Lord’
- SeaTac, Wash.: City’s new $15 minimum wage heads to court
- Obama mulls support for Islamists in Syria, with conditions
- Obama ‘birther’ theories float, as Hawaii health director killed in crash
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Massacre of children symptomatic of decline
The pain of what happened at Sandy Hook Elementary School has a nation grasping at how to deal with the atrocity and what to do about it (“With joy lost, Newtown seeks comfort,” Web, Sunday). The suggestions for more gun control, a police presence at schools or harsher prison sentences are only attempts to handle symptoms — they do nothing about the causes.
For a long time, we have watched the collapse of honesty and integrity on the part of our nation’s leaders. The lack of accountability by so many in our culture and the violence in Connecticut are symptoms of a nation that has lost its moral compass and is spiraling toward the bottom. We are in a spiritual crisis, and the solution will occur only when we finally reject the emptiness of secularism.
I fear it will be a long and painful slide for our nation and culture. The turnaround will come through national revival and a cultural shift to the grace and faith upon which this nation and its laws were founded. We should start by giving parents the choice to place their children in schools that teach faith in place of the faithless institutions that now comprise public schools.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Mangosuthu Buthelezi
Memories of a long brotherhood tempered in common struggle
Get Breaking Alerts
- U.S. Navy-China showdown: Chinese try to halt U.S. cruiser in international waters
- Obama birther theories float, as Hawaii health director killed in crash
- Obama's Afghanistan experts stumped on U.S. death toll, war costs during hearing
- House budget bargain faces Senate filibuster; Republicans line up to oppose
- Billy Graham near death, close to going home to be with the Lord
- PRUDEN: The last living witnesses; they wore the yellow star and remember the Nazi terror
- NAPOLITANO: A conspiracy so vast
- American bourbon now better than Scottish whisky: U.K.-born expert
- North Korea's official report on Jang Song Thaek
- Dr. Ben Carson disavows efforts at presidential draft