- Drug-filled drone crash outside S.C. prison sends police on alert
- GOP to Obama: Take your ‘golf cap off’ and get down to coal country
- Hamas cleric tells Jews: ‘We will exterminate you’
- San Diego Costco, Target shoppers shocked by plane crash in parking lot
- George W. Bush penning biography of father
- Israel vows to destroy Hamas tunnels
- Spain evacuates staff from embassy in Libya
- Peace Corps evacuates over Ebola fears; 2 volunteers isolated
- House overwhelmingly approves $16 billion cash infusion for VA overhaul
- Obama admin to blame for HealthCare.gov woes, $840M cost: GAO
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Massacre of children symptomatic of decline
Question of the Day
The pain of what happened at Sandy Hook Elementary School has a nation grasping at how to deal with the atrocity and what to do about it (“With joy lost, Newtown seeks comfort,” Web, Sunday). The suggestions for more gun control, a police presence at schools or harsher prison sentences are only attempts to handle symptoms — they do nothing about the causes.
For a long time, we have watched the collapse of honesty and integrity on the part of our nation’s leaders. The lack of accountability by so many in our culture and the violence in Connecticut are symptoms of a nation that has lost its moral compass and is spiraling toward the bottom. We are in a spiritual crisis, and the solution will occur only when we finally reject the emptiness of secularism.
I fear it will be a long and painful slide for our nation and culture. The turnaround will come through national revival and a cultural shift to the grace and faith upon which this nation and its laws were founded. We should start by giving parents the choice to place their children in schools that teach faith in place of the faithless institutions that now comprise public schools.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
Get Breaking Alerts
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- EDITORIAL: The real Lois Lerner exposed in newly released emails
- NAPOLITANO: Is the president incompetent or lawless?
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Star witness in Bob McDonnell corruption trial refutes 'crush' defense
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Politics and corruption driving water woes
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Laws should target criminals, not the law-abiding
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Temple Mount is still Judaism's holiest site
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: If Israeli laid down its arms
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Stop silence on relocations of illegal aliens