- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: While Middle East burns, construction worries EU
Question of the Day
The Palestinian Authority petition to the United Nations General Assembly was a direct violation of the Oslo Accord because all matters were supposed to be settled through bilateral negotiation (“U.N. should butt out of Israeli-Palestinian conflict,” Commentary, Dec. 4). This is in addition to many other Palestinian violations, the most prominent being the Palestinian Authority’s (PA) incitement of hatred and violence.
The PA continues to glorify terrorists and their murderous actions. In July, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas sponsored a new computer center and named it “after the martyr Dalal Mughrabi.” Mughrabi led the most deadly terror attack in Israel’s history. Her 1978 bus hijacking killed 37 civilians, 12 of them children. Honoring her shows that Mr. Abbas is neither moderate nor looking for peace. The message this sends to Palestinian children is very harmful in that it encourages terrorism. A comparison would be naming a new facility after Adam Lanza following the Newtown, Conn., massacre.
The Middle East is in great turmoil. Iran is continuing its development of nuclear weapons and intercontinental missiles to deliver them. Forty-thousand people have been killed in Syria, heavy fighting goes on there, and the threat of poison gas, a weapon of mass destruction, is very real. Egypt is on the verge of a civil war. Much of Mali is under al Qaeda control and terrorists are running amuck in Iraq, Jordan, Yemen and Lebanon.
Yet with all this going on, the European Union is worried over proposed construction of new housing on vacant land in eastern Jerusalem. Israel’s right to Jerusalem is no less than the right of the British to London or that of the French to Paris. That is an understatement because the Jews have lived in Israel for thousands of years — before either London or Paris were built.
After considering all of the many PA violations of the peace accord, the question should arise: How worthwhile is another accord? If Palestinians have broken their word many times in the past, what should persuade Israel that the next accord will be kept?
East Windsor, N.J.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
Get Breaking Alerts
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Army's 3-D printed bombs to create 'a whole new universe' of lethal capabilities
- GOP leaders delay border bill, leave Obama in control
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- 3 African leaders cancel trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Colorado poll shows women tuning out Democrats' 'war on women' strategy
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Politics and corruption driving water woes
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Laws should target criminals, not the law-abiding
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Temple Mount is still Judaism's holiest site
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: If Israeli laid down its arms
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Stop silence on relocations of illegal aliens