- Putin calls Internet ‘CIA project’ that must be controlled
- Muslims offended that 9/11 museum movie speaks of jihad
- Obama marks Armenian massacre, avoids using the word ‘genocide’
- Gov. Rick Perry: ‘It’s not a dare, it’s a promise’; Texas will fight BLM
- Howard Dean cheers Obama’s approach to Russian aggression
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s childhood nickname? ‘The Surprise’
- Democrat Grimes backs Keystone XL pipeline in Kentucky Senate race
- China spends for 17 new warships as U.S. cuts back military
- In Japan, Obama plays soccer with a robot and warns students of climate change
- FDA proposes ban on e-cigarette sales to minors
SGT. SHAFT: Caregiver of wounded veteran is thankful for the help
Dear Sgt. Shaft:
Thank you so much for all you did to help me. I only recently learned the extent to which news spread. Although I think I still only know about a small portion of the action. It’s really amazing to find someone who can make logical things happen in an illogical world.
I had a wonderful time on my trip. I challenged myself emotionally and physically and was able to sleep and act without focusing on everyone else’s welfare — real respite. I’m hoping to use our respite hours again in late January to take out little ones to Disney. I’ve never been, and we’re meeting some cousins there, although my children know none of this.
I went to a caregiver luncheon in Hampton last month and learned that at least one caregiver was unable to attend because her respite hours were declined, so I fear the problem still exists. If I struggle again, may I contact you again, or is there a more appropriate first step for me to take?
The help you provided last fall was amazing — and so much more than many other people could accomplish. If there is anything I can ever do to assist in your mission, I would be glad to participate.
Thanks again and Happy New Year!
Via the Internet
Thanks should go the powers that be at the Department of Veterans and Capitol Hill. When they learned of your inability to take time off from caring for your wounded warrior husband, they made sure that the rest you needed was made possible. I am sure that Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck will be happy to have you and your family visit.
• Rep. Jeff Miller, chairman of the House Committee on Veterans’ Affairs, recently recommended some of his distinguished colleagues in the House to serve as subcommittee chairs for the 113th Congress:
“The selections I am recommending for the Committee’s Subcommittee Chairmanships represent a diverse group who has served, who are doctors, and who has advocated for veterans throughout their careers. I am confident these Members will work with the Committee to improve the lives of America’s veterans, their families, and survivors, as well as to continue the Committee’s work in the previous Congress to provide oversight of the Department of Veterans Affairs.
“I am also delighted to announce my colleague and friend, Rep. Gus Bilirakis, will continue to serve as Vice Chairman of the Committee. His dedication has been unparalleled, and I look forward to his continued leadership.”
* Subcommittee on Disability Assistance and Memorial Affairs: Rep. Jon Runyan (New Jersey).
* Subcommittee on Economic Opportunity: Rep. Bill Flores (Texas).
* Subcommittee on Health: Rep. Dan Benishek, M.D. (Michigan),
* Subcommittee on Oversight & Investigations: Rep. Mike Coffman (Colorado),
The Sarge is looking forward to working closely with these members to ensure that the benefits earned by our nation’s veterans are not only protected, but enhanced.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- SGT. SHAFT: Veteran's widow seeks information regarding husband's benefits
- SGT. SHAFT: Divorced veteran seeks help getting full retirement benefits back
- SGT. SHAFT: Veteran's wife seeks help for husband with multiple sclerosis
- SGT. SHAFT: Veteran's spouse will be able to continue on TRICARE Prime until age 65
- SGT. SHAFT: Veteran's medical claim held up at VA
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- 'Conservatives' should feel exposed by Bundy's racist comments: Scarborough
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014