- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
Ukraine police helicopter crashes; 5 killed
KIEV (AP) — A police helicopter belonging to Ukraine’s Interior Ministry crashed shortly after takeoff Tuesday in the central part of the country, killing five people on board, officials said.
The Mi-8 helicopter slammed into the ground at about 4 p.m. local time (9 a.m. EST) just after taking off from an airport in the city of Alexandria in the Kirovograd region, about 200 miles southeast of the capital, Kiev, ministry spokesman Serhiy Burlakov said.
Investigators were working to determine what caused the helicopter to hit the ground as it was gaining speed, Mr. Burlakov said. Three of the dead were crew members, and two were ground staff on board the helicopter.
The Mi-8 is a workhorse helicopter used widely in civilian and military aviation in former Soviet states. Mi-8 crashes often are blamed on poor maintenance, aging equipment, a disregard for safety regulations and a cost-cutting mentality.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- EDITORIAL: More Lerner smoking-gun emails at IRS
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.