- Spain, Morocco break up jihadist recruitment cell, arrest 7
- Muslim insurgents shoot then set on fire Buddhist teacher in Thailand
- Air Force cadets ‘revolt’ after officials remove biblical verse from whiteboard
- Rep. Lee: Paul Ryan out of touch with urban Americans
- House votes down resolution to force Issa to apologize
- Kremlin blocks opposition websites; Kasparov fears Putin plans ‘something drastic’
- Saving trees? EPA wastes $1.5 million storing unneeded pamphlets in warehouse
- Scott Brown Senate bid in New Hampshire may launch soon
- Jeffrey Corzine, son of ex-N.J. governor, dead at 31
- Australian surfing magazine sorry for calling indigenous surfer ‘apeish’
Hammer-wielding Md. man fatally shot by police on Christmas
A 26-year-old man drunkenly wielding a hammer was fatally shot on Christmas by a police officer in Carroll County.
The shooting happened at about 8:30 p.m. Tuesday after Mr. Becker’s parents called police to report their son “had been drinking and was acting disorderly,” including smashing the windows of his truck out with a hammer.
The officers retreated behind their police cars and shouted at Mr. Becker to drop the hammer.
Despite the officers’ demands, Mr. Becker continued toward the officers. One of the officers, who has not been identified, fired his gun and struck Mr. Becker in the chest. Mr. Becker was taken to a hospital where he later died.
Police said the officer is a four-and-a-half-year veteran of the police department. He was placed on administrative leave, which is standard for police-involved shootings, the chief said.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Meredith Somers is a Metro reporter for The Washington Times. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Christ in the City puts Pope Francis' vision at work on Denver streets
- New group aims to conduct census of Muslim Americans
- Three Gulf countries sink 'Noah' before movie's launch
- Lenten season marks big business for seafood sector
- ACU at 50: Strong and looking ahead
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Bob Dole
The industrious island has proved itself worthy of U.S. inclusion
- F-35 secrets now showing up in Chinas stealth fighter
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- U.S.: Malaysia plane's on-board communications purposely shut down
- USS Kidd sent to Indian Ocean after 'indication' of Malaysian jet crash
- Oil rig worker says he saw missing plane go down: report
- EDITORIAL: Lois Lerner's dilemma
- PRUDEN: Sink sank own campaign in Florida special election
- Justice Department refuses info on hundreds of prosecutor misconduct cases
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- College group's diversity event canceled after excluding white people
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again