- Tennessee ammunition site explodes, killing 1
- U.N.: Iran cuts stock closest to nuke-arms grade
- Oklahoma gay-marriage case before U.S. appeals court
- Times wins two awards from Society for Professional Journalists
- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
Glen Campbell: Alzheimer’s can’t silence the music
Singer’s Grammy appearance was powerful palliative
My father’s last performance was recorded in the HBO documentary “The Alzheimer’s Project: The Memory Tapes.” It is chillingly similar to Mr. Campbell’s rousing performance at the Grammys. As you can see in the documentary, he didn’t know where to go after he finished singing his song, either, even though he knew exactly what to do during his performance onstage. Even though he - like Mr. Campbell - nailed every note, a member of the group had to lead him off the stage because he didn’t know where to go.
When we knew we were nearing the end of my father’s life two years ago, the entire family came to be with him. We surrounded his bed, sang songs with him, and played all his favorite CDs. He sang along, humming and sometimes whistling, until the very last hours. I know he felt comforted not just by our presence, but by the presence of his favorite songs, and his ability to sing along.
I hope that, as it was with my father, Glen Campbell will be able to sing and perform until it’s physically impossible, and that music will surround him until the end of his days and beyond — when he will know exactly where to go, as surely as if he were going home.
• Mary Ellen Geist is the author of “Measure of the Heart: a Father’s Alzheimer’s, a Daughter’s Return” (Hachette). She is currently the morning anchor at FM News 101.1 in Chicago.
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- With pot and e-cigarettes, Big Tobacco is just waiting to inhale emerging markets
- FISHER: Shades of Berlin in the South China Sea
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.