- NYC’s de Blasio seeks to ban wood-burning fireplaces
- Residents angry Obama mispronounced town’s name during mudslide visit
- Israel halts peace talks with Palestinians
- Netanyahu’s driver accused of raping girls under age 12
- Putin calls Internet ‘CIA project’ that must be controlled
- Muslims offended that 9/11 museum movie speaks of jihad
- Obama marks Armenian massacre, avoids using the word ‘genocide’
- Gov. Rick Perry: ‘It’s not a dare, it’s a promise’; Texas will fight BLM
- Howard Dean cheers Obama’s approach to Russian aggression
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s childhood nickname? ‘The Surprise’
Glen Campbell: Alzheimer’s can’t silence the music
Singer’s Grammy appearance was powerful palliative
My father’s last performance was recorded in the HBO documentary “The Alzheimer’s Project: The Memory Tapes.” It is chillingly similar to Mr. Campbell’s rousing performance at the Grammys. As you can see in the documentary, he didn’t know where to go after he finished singing his song, either, even though he knew exactly what to do during his performance onstage. Even though he - like Mr. Campbell - nailed every note, a member of the group had to lead him off the stage because he didn’t know where to go.
When we knew we were nearing the end of my father’s life two years ago, the entire family came to be with him. We surrounded his bed, sang songs with him, and played all his favorite CDs. He sang along, humming and sometimes whistling, until the very last hours. I know he felt comforted not just by our presence, but by the presence of his favorite songs, and his ability to sing along.
I hope that, as it was with my father, Glen Campbell will be able to sing and perform until it’s physically impossible, and that music will surround him until the end of his days and beyond — when he will know exactly where to go, as surely as if he were going home.
• Mary Ellen Geist is the author of “Measure of the Heart: a Father’s Alzheimer’s, a Daughter’s Return” (Hachette). She is currently the morning anchor at FM News 101.1 in Chicago.
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- 'Conservatives' should feel exposed by Bundy's racist comments: Scarborough
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Rand Paul: Bundy's racist remarks are 'offensive'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014