- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
ROHRABACHER: Great journalist, better tequila drinker
I am proud to have called Tony Blankley my friend for more than four decades. He played a significant role not only in my life but the life of this great nation. Values that we shared made him a mighty force for liberty and the American cause. We will miss him as a wonderful person but even more so as a force for those values and beliefs that we hold dear as Americans.
His service in the Reagan White House, the House of Representatives and as one of America's great journalists and political pundits speaks well of his career. Those of us who knew him personally know that on top of those professional accomplishments, he was a wonderful person and joy to know.
Tony and I believed in fighting for freedom and having fun. He had an inspiring intellect and love of life. Over the years, Tony and I were known as the guys who hosted the chili and tequila parties that attracted freedom-fighters from around the world struggling to fight communist oppression. They would often join us and our fellow Reaganites at the White House throughout the administration. Tony would always make sure they all got home safely, which was one of the most challenging tasks of the entire Reagan administration!
Here is a toast that Tony and I would always lead for those stalwarts at every tequila party:
"Here's to the brave individuals who are struggling for freedom in desperate circumstances. Whoever they are, may God protect them and grant them victory because they are our brothers and sisters!"
Tony, you will be missed dearly.
Rep. Dana Rohrabacher is a California Republican.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Emily Miller
Billionaire gets mobbed by fans at CPAC
Get Breaking Alerts
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Two liberals say Sarah Palin is right: Obama lacks substance
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- 'Holy grail of guitars' among those in N.Y. auction
- IRS to turn over Lerner emails in tea party targeting probe
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Time for feckless president to show resolve
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama reserves 'Chicago way' for GOP
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Public education would wither in free market
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Turkey not committed to Cyprus peace
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Spoiled-kid culture creates greedy adults