- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
- John Boehner says GOP should support gay candidates: ‘I do’
- Grass-Whopper: Pan-fried cricket burgers go over big in New York City
ALTON: Crisis brewing in Liberty
Iranian dissidents need support, not coercion
Question of the Day
The MEK have said - rightly and properly - they will not move the last 1,200 residents until these conditions, 10 in total, are met. The response so far has been disappointing, unreasonable and not constructive.
The choice for the dissidents remaining at Ashraf appears to be this: Stay and face the consequences - a likely massacre and the refusal of the U.S. to delist the MEK - or move to Liberty, live in a prisonlike camp and face conditions akin to suffering a slow death.
There is no honor in either option. The answer must be for the U.S. and U.N. to stop failing the people they have promised to protect and give them a viable humanitarian solution - by focusing on the simple needs of the dissidents and making Liberty habitable. Only then will all parties start to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Lord David Alton is an independent member of the House of Lords and leading member of the British Parliamentary Committee for Iran Freedom.
Get Breaking Alerts
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Activists urge Obama to go rogue, sidestep Congress
- Colorado judge: Bakery owner discriminated against gay couple
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Rush Limbaugh: Obama trying to make Mandela death about himself
- Obama administration issues permits for wind farms to kill more eagles
- Obamas call to close Vatican embassy is 'slap in the face' to Roman Catholics
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality