- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
- HUMPRHIES: The Liberal Bully of the Week is …
- Secret Service threatened to kill Mr. Met if he got close to Clinton, mascot claims
Inside Politics: Panetta asked why uniforms allowed in gay pride parade
The figures put a price tag on the potential personal costs of the partisan tax showdown.
Republicans want to renew all the tax cuts for one year to give the two sides time to negotiate permanent tax changes. President Obama and Democrats insist they will only extend the reductions for households earning below $250,000.
Sen. Patty Murray, Washington Democrat, has said if there is no deal by January, her party would be willing to let all the tax cuts expire to pressure Republicans to give ground.
The $1,600 average is for families earning $250,000 or less.
Lawmaker returns donations caught up in FBI probe
WADSWORTH — An Ohio congressman has returned $100,000 in campaign contributions amid an FBI inquiry into the source of the donations.
The FBI has previously questioned employees of Canton-based Suarez Corp. Industries about combined donations to freshman U.S. Rep. James Renacci and state treasurer and U.S. Senate candidate Josh Mandel, both Republicans.
Mr. Renacci said in a statement Monday that he is returning 20 checks for $5,000 each.
Mr. Renacci faces a challenge from Democratic Rep. Betty Sutton, whose district was reconfigured as a result of redistricting.
Mr. Mandel returned $105,000 in questioned contributions in May.
The government had been seeking donor records for retail marketing executive Benjamin Suarez, his family members and employees to either the congressman or Mr. Mandel.
• From wire dispatches and staff reports
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- John Edwards back in court this time as a lawyer for Va. boy's malpractice case
- Pentagon extends deployment of fighter jets to Poland
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.