- Mexican train carrying 1,300 migrants headed toward U.S. derails
- Secret Service begins regular K-9 patrols around White House
- Pentagon’s human memory-chip program moves forward
- Obama blasts GOP, ignores immigration crisis in Texas speech
- Marine Warfighting Lab tests the Godzilla of amphibious assault vehicles
- Harry Reid: Birth-control ruling the worst Supreme Court decision in 25 years
- Vet suicides ‘horrible human cost’ of VA dysfunction: lawmaker
- First marijuana customer in Spokane says he was fired
- Hagel: ‘Make no mistake,’ ISIL is an ‘imminent’ threat to U.S.
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to ‘fight for national sovereignty’
SCHWARZWALDER: Are we all dependents now?
Growth of entitlements attacks self-reliance
Question of the Day
At a time when our economy remains anemic, less government means more prosperity. A dramatically transformed system of benefits will not only buoy these programs financially but also encourage more people to take risks.
With all of this, the long-term prosperity of any society rests on the firm foundation of strong families: monogamous mothers and fathers and their children. The stable family is the greatest economic resource we have. As my colleagues Pat Fagan and Henry Potrykus and I have argued, unless we have an adequate and growing supply of current and future workers (yes, that means children), “We cannot tax, spend and borrow enough to substitute for marriage.”
Risks are essential to our economic future and marriage is, admittedly but joyously, a risk. To avoid risks on the presupposition that ever-Bigger Brother always will assume a God-like omni-benevolence is, in a profound way, un-American.
Rob Schwarzwalder is senior vice president at the Family Research Council.
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Banning speech with a constitutional amendment is playing with fire
Get Breaking Alerts
- GOP: Lerner warned IRS employees to hide information from Congress
- IRS employee suspended for pro-Obama activities
- HUSAIN: The fake caliph of 'The Islamic State'
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- Amid border crisis, Obama to take 15-day vacation in Martha's Vineyard
- EDITORIAL: Whats Obama hiding at illegal-alien 'refugee' camps?
- Illegal immigrants showing up at border with 'Yes we can' Obama shoes: report
- HUSAR: Mexicos Pena Nieto passes the immigration bucket
- Facebook allows 'Kill Kendall Jones' page, but deletes her game hunting photos
- Va. Democrat reportedly seeks nude shots of Kendall Jones