- Pennsylvania Rep. Chaka Fattah vows to fight federal subpoena
- Ron Paul: CIA spying is a result of a distrustful, big government
- Mike Huckabee: Opposing abortion is ‘how we save this republic’
- Obama pitches to middle class with overtime pay action
- Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee claims Constitution is 400 years old
- Unemployment, job creation top biggest problems in America: poll
- Twitter crashes for second time in nine days
- Charles Manson associate Bruce Davis granted parole
- Israeli warplanes pound 29 Palestinian sites in Gaza: ‘Direct hits’ confirmed
- Eric Holder to give thumbs-up to drop jail time for drug offenders
SCHWARZWALDER: Are we all dependents now?
Growth of entitlements attacks self-reliance
At a time when our economy remains anemic, less government means more prosperity. A dramatically transformed system of benefits will not only buoy these programs financially but also encourage more people to take risks.
With all of this, the long-term prosperity of any society rests on the firm foundation of strong families: monogamous mothers and fathers and their children. The stable family is the greatest economic resource we have. As my colleagues Pat Fagan and Henry Potrykus and I have argued, unless we have an adequate and growing supply of current and future workers (yes, that means children), “We cannot tax, spend and borrow enough to substitute for marriage.”
Risks are essential to our economic future and marriage is, admittedly but joyously, a risk. To avoid risks on the presupposition that ever-Bigger Brother always will assume a God-like omni-benevolence is, in a profound way, un-American.
Rob Schwarzwalder is senior vice president at the Family Research Council.
TWT Video Picks
By Emily Miller
Obama is losing the debate on gun ownership, concealed-carry permits
Get Breaking Alerts
- Oil rig worker says he saw missing plane go down: report
- GOP bill tries to pull courts into fight with Obama on executive power, enforcing laws
- Ukrainian PM accuses Putin of wanting war
- Inside the Beltway: A new interest in Rahm Emanuel for 2016?
- NRA shirt gets N.Y. high school student suspended
- Special ops forces wearing thin from high demand
- Military families would take a $5,000 hit in benefits with Obama budget
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Critics point to Obama's attempts to sell health care as no laughing matter
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Wind power less harmful to wildlife
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Constitutional rights are God-given
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Clinton still too inexperienced for presidency
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: The recipe for Asia-Pacific stability
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama delivering on 'flexibility' vow to Moscow