- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
- Michaels craft chain confirms hackers hit 3M customers
- Special Forces’ suicide rates hit record levels — casualties of ‘hard combat’
Briefly: NATO to discuss downing of Turkish plane by Syria
ATHENS — Greece’s new prime minister will not be well enough to travel to a critical EU summit in Brussels after undergoing an eye operation, the government said Sunday.
Antonis Samaras, 61, underwent surgery for a detached retina for nearly four hours Saturday, just three days after being sworn in at the head of a three-party coalition government formed after two inconclusive general elections.
The physician treating the prime minister, Dr. Panagiotis Theodosiadis, has ruled out him being able to travel to Brussels for the Thursday-Friday European Union summit, government spokesman Simos Kedikoglou said.
“Before the surgery, [Mr. Samaras] said, ‘You do your job, and I do mine, which is to go to the EU summit,’ ” Dr. Theodosiadis said the prime minister. “I was hoping [Saturday] that he would announce he would not go because it was a very delicate operation.
“He needs to lie at a certain angle for a certain period each day, for at least a week. He can do meetings, but he certainly can’t walk,” Dr. Theodosiadis said.
The summit could prove to be a key test of Greek leaders’ pledges to renegotiate some terms of the country’s international bailout.
• From wire dispatches and staff reports
TWT Video Picks
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- BRUCE: Obama deliberately emboldening America's enemies
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- With pot and e-cigarettes, Big Tobacco is just waiting to inhale emerging markets
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.