- Beretta leaves Maryland over gun laws, heads for Tennessee
- Neal Boortz defends Hillary Clinton for representing child rapist
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- Top federal judge uses pizza to explain complex Obamacare situation
- Obama, Biden overhaul job training programs
- Drought-plagued Californians turn to paint to keep lawns green
- ISIL now forcing Iraqi shopkeepers to veil mannequins in Mosul
- 11 parents of Nigeria’s abducted girls die
- Genetic mapping triggers new hope on schizophrenia
- Turkish P.M. Erdogan won’t speak to Obama, but he’ll take calls from Biden
‘General Hospital’ wins big with 5 Daytime Emmys
Question of the Day
The Daytime Emmys showered "General Hospital" with five trophies, including best drama, while giving Regis Philbin a fond farewell as a departing talk-show host.
NBC's "Today" show won as best morning show, and the syndicated "Jeopardy!" was named best game show at the annual ceremony Saturday.
"Live With Regis and Kelly" was saluted as best entertainment talk show — its first-ever nod in that category — and for best talk-show hosts. Mr. Philbin ended his long run as its co-host last November, with a replacement yet to be named to join Kelly Ripa as the syndicated series continues.
Heather Tom, who won as best lead actress for CBS' "The Bold and the Beautiful," made history as the first to win in that category after previously having won as both best younger actress and supporting actress.
Anthony Geary won as lead actor for "General Hospital." The ABC soap also won for supporting actress (Nancy Lee Grahn), supporting actor (Jonathan Jackson), and directing team.
The syndicated "Dr. Oz" was named best informative talk show.
Bill Geddie, longtime associate of Barbara Walters and executive producer of her ABC talk show "The View," received the life achievement award.
"There's not a lot of glamour and glory in daytime," Mr. Geddie told the room in his acceptance remarks. "But when you think about it, we're all here with the best of intentions: We just love making TV!"
Held in Beverly Hills, Calif., the 39th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards was telecast on the HLN channel, having moved to cable for the first time after airing on CBS the past two years. The awards are bestowed by the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences.
The Beverly Hilton, where the presentation originated, was the site only hours earlier of what investigators believe was a murder-suicide. Police responding to a report of a shooting late Friday found a man and a woman dead from gunshot wounds in a guest room. The luxury hotel was also the site of Whitney Houston's death in February, when the singer drowned in the bathtub of her room.
Daytime Emmy Winners
• Drama series: "General Hospital"
• Lead actress in a drama series: Heather Tom, "The Bold and the Beautiful"
• Lead actor in a drama series: Anthony Geary, "General Hospital"
• Supporting actress in a drama series: Nancy Lee Grahn, "General Hospital"
• Supporting actor in a drama series: Jonathan Jackson, "General Hospital"
• Younger actress in a drama series: Christel Khalil, "The Young and the Restless"
• Drama series directing team: "General Hospital"
• Drama series writing team: "Days of Our Lives"
• Game show: "Jeopardy!"
• Game-show host: Todd Newton, "Family Game Night"
• Informative talk show: "Dr. Oz"
• Entertainment talk show: "Live With Regis and Kelly"
• Talk-show host: Regis Philbin and Kelly Ripa, "Live With Regis and Kelly"
• Morning show: "Today"
• Culinary program: "Bobby Flay's Barbecue Addiction"
• Culinary/lifestyle host: Sandra Lee, "Semi-Homemade Cooking"
• Children's animated program: "Penguins of Madagascar"
• Performer in a children's program: Kevin Clash (as Elmo), "Sesame Street"
• Legal-courtroom program: "Last Shot With Judge Gunn"New approaches in daytime entertainment: "Take This Lollipop" (online)
TWT Video Picks
The president could pay the full price for ignoring Congress
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- David Perdue defeats Jack Kingston in Georgia Republican Senate primary runoff
- 'Straight White Guy Festival' supposedly set for Ohio park
- D.C. appeals panel deals big blow to Obamacare subsidies
- Pentagon team dispatched to Ukraine amid crisis with Russia
- MAY: Barbarians at Jordan's gate
- Hamas terrorists wear Israeli army uniforms to ambush soldiers in Gaza
- Beretta moving to Tennessee over Maryland gun laws
- McCLAUGHRY: Finish off the "Islamic State" quickly and cheaply
- BERMAN & MADYOON: An Iranian-Turkish reset
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq