- Blame Bush: 5 years later, that’s still the mantra, pollsters find
- Dutch prostitutes demand same retirement benefits as soccer stars
- John McCain to Harry Reid: I’ll ‘kick the crap’ out of you
- Dogs that talk: Researchers seek $10K for ‘No More Woof’ technology
- 1,000 firefighters called to battle stubborn Big Sur wildfire
- Black Friday brouhaha: Millions of Target shoppers hit by credit card theft
- Britain orders airplane to rescue citizens from violent South Sudan
- Mega Millions winner emerges as Georgia mom, in ‘disbelief’
- ‘Duck Dynasty’ Phil Robertson suspended ‘indefinitely’ for gay quip
- John Podesta eats crow: ‘I apologize to Speaker Boehner’
Dollars & Sense: Bet Dullahan to spoil Triple Crown bid
Question of the Day
ELMONT, N.Y. — No one quite knows how fast the Belmont Stakes will be, but Paynter and Unstoppable U figure to be on the lead, at least in the early stages. I'll Have Another shouldn't be too far behind.
If jockey Mario Guterriez is able to resist the urge to storm out to the lead too early, a mistake many have made and cost themselves the final jewel of the Triple Crown, then I'll Have Another stands a great chance of making history.
"He'll damn sure be in my exacta," Hall of Fame trainer D. Wayne Lukas said. "I can't see him being very far out of it, even if he gets beat, really."
The prevailing opinion is I'll Have Another is the horse to beat. After impressive victories in the Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes, that's the least surprising notion of the week.
I'll Have Another has the chops to win the Belmont Stakes, and if he does, it will be a remarkable occasion for anyone in attendance or watching on TV. Get your souvenir ticket, but if you want to take a shot at making money if history falls through, bet on Dullahan.
After turning my imaginary $100 into $951.70 at the 2011 Preakness, I took a step back at this year's race, losing $4. If you're counting, you'd be up $947.70 if betting with me so far.
I've been given an imaginary pot of $100 to wager on the Belmont Stakes. This is how I would use the money:
• $20 to win on Dullahan
• $5 to win on I'll Have Another
• $5 to win on Union Rags
• $1 exacta I'll Have Another-All ($11)
• $1 exacta All-I'll Have Another ($11)
• $2 exacta box I'll Have Another-Dullahan-Unstoppable U ($12)
• $1 trifecta box I'll Have Another-Dullahan-Street Life-Unstoppable U ($12)
• $1 superfecta box I'll Have Another-Dullahan-Street Life-Unstoppable U ($24)
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- WHYNO: Tomas Vokoun gets unexpected Stanley Cup shot with Penguins
- Brandon Meriweather, Redskins' secondary ready for bounceback year
- Kirk Cousins embraces role as Redskins' offseason starter as RG3 rehabs from injury
- Capitals notes: Realignment won't prompt roster remake
- Despite Caps' first-round playoff exit, Adam Oates' first season as coach left a positive taste
Latest Blog Entries
- Redskins injury updates (5/23): WR Pierre Garcon, CB Josh Wilson each had labrum surgery
- Capitals 'love' Matt Hendricks, but how much?
- Wojtek Wolski signs in Russia's Kontinental Hockey League
- Tom Poti won't return to Capitals, plans to continue his NHL career
- Is Tom Wilson ready to be a regular for Capitals?
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Fourth Amendment says Obama is not at liberty to collect metadata
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- Half of America strips religion from Christmas
- Obamacare 'pajamas boy' gets roundly mocked
- Duck Dynasty Phil Robertson suspended indefinitely for gay quip
- In court filing, NCAA denies legal duty to protect athletes
- Bill Gates: The Secret Santa disguised as a 'friendly fellow' on Reddit
- U.S. Army mulls wiping out memory of Robert E. Lee, 'Stonewall' Jackson
- Border Patrol helps smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.
- NAPOLITANO: NSA spies pick up interference from the Constitution
- John McCain to Harry Reid: Ill kick the crap out of you
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness from the carpool lane.
Politics, economics, and business from a real world perspective.
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow