- Associated Press - Wednesday, March 14, 2012

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — The American soldier accused of killing 16 Afghan civilians on a shooting spree has been flown out of the country, a U.S. military official said Wednesday.

The official said the soldier had been flown to a “pretrial confinement facility” in another country but did not provide further details. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the information had not yet been publicly announced.

The official did not provide a reason for the move, saying only that the decision had been made to continue legal proceedings outside Afghanistan.