You are currently viewing the printable version of this article, to return to the normal page, please click here.

Steelers cutting LB James Farrior, DE Aaron Smith

Question of the Day

What has been the biggest debacle on Obama's watch?

View results

PITTSBURGH (AP) - The Pittsburgh Steelers continued their offseason roster purge Friday, announcing veteran linebacker James Farrior and defensive end Aaron Smith will be released before the next league year begins March 13.

"Both Aaron and James have given their all during their time in Pittsburgh, and we appreciate their efforts and leadership they gave us," team president Art Rooney II said in a statement.

Farrior and Smith served as the backbone of a defense that led the franchise to two Super Bowl titles and three AFC championships over the last decade, a period in which the Steelers defense finished ranked in the top 10 in the league every season.

The duo join wide receiver Hines Ward and guard Chris Kemoeatu, who were told earlier this week they also will be cut as the team addresses salary cap concerns and an aging roster, particularly on defense. Nose tackle Chris Hoke retired in January due to lingering neck problems.

The 37-year-old Farrior, a two-time Pro Bowl selection, had 78 tackles in 14 games last season. Though he stayed relatively mostly injury free in 2011, Farrior was due about $2.8 million in 2012, and the Steelers are making a series of moves to get under the projected salary cap of around $120 million.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and linebackers LaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons already have agreed to restructure their contracts in the hopes the team can free up enough cap space to keep restricted free agent wide receiver Mike Wallace.

Farrior was so highly respected by his teammates they named him a defensive captain in each of his final eight seasons. He had 30 sacks and eight interceptions during his 10 seasons with the Steelers after coming over from the New York Jets. He likely will be replaced by Larry Foote, who has been a capable spot starter throughout his career.

It's uncertain whether Farrior will attempt to sign with another team, something Ward vowed to do after the team told him he would be let go on Wednesday.

Smith, however, is expected to retire. One of the top defensive ends in the league during his prime, the 35-year-old Smith has struggled staying healthy in recent years. He ended the 2007, 2009 and 2011 seasons on the injured reserve.

He was limited to four games in 2011 due to a neck injury. He underwent surgery and was considering a comeback but told reporters in January he wasn't sure whether he would play again.

"To (change teams) now would just taint the whole idea of being a Steeler," Smith said. "You're not really playing for the money at this point. How much is enough?"

Smith had 44 sacks during his 13-year career, 10th on the club's all-time list, and made the Pro Bowl in 2004.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Get Adobe Flash player
You Might Also Like
  • Nathan Walker waits to take the ice during the Capitals' development camp at the Kettler Capitals Iceplex in Arlington on Monday, July 9, 2012. (Ryan M.L. Young/The Washington Times)

    Nathan Walker’s NHL dreams send him around the world

  • Washington Nationals' Anthony Rendon, third from left, smiles as he warms up with his teammates who were were wearing t-shirts in support of him for the All Star game before an interleague baseball game against the Baltimore Orioles at Nationals Park, Tuesday, July 8, 2014, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

    Anthony Rendon not an All-Star, but he’s been Nats’ MVP

  • Baltimore Orioles manager Buck Showalter speaks during a media availability in the dugout before an interleague baseball game against the Washington Nationals at Nationals Park, Monday, July 7, 2014, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

    LOVERRO: Suck-up Buck Showalter needs history lesson

  • Argentina's Maxi Rodriguez, left, celebrates with goalkeeper Sergio Romero after scoring the decisive goal during the World Cup semifinal soccer match between the Netherlands and Argentina at the Itaquerao Stadium in Sao Paulo, Brazil, Wednesday, July 9, 2014. Argentina beat the Netherlands 4-2 in a penalty shootout to reach the World Cup final. (AP Photo/Frank Augstein)

    Argentina beats Dutch in shootout to reach World Cup final

  • Washington Redskins safety Tanard Jackson speaks during a media availability after an NFL football training camp practice at Redskins Park, Friday, Aug. 3, 2012 in Ashburn, Va. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

    Tanard Jackson suspended indefinitely by NFL — again

  • Celebrities In The News
  • Hall of Fame Inductees, KISS, Paul Stanley, Peter Criss, Gene Simmons, and Ace Frehley speak at the 2014 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony on Thursday, April, 10, 2014 in New York. (Photo by Charles Sykes/Invision/AP)

    KISS rocker Gene Simmons touts 1 percent life: ‘It’s fantastic’

  • This image from video released by Funny Or Die shows President Obama, left, with actor-comedian Zach Galifianakis during an appearance on "Between Two Ferns," the digital short with a laser focus on reaching people aged 18 to 34. The president urged young people to sign up for the new health care plan through an appearance posted Tuesday, March 11, 2014, on the comic website Funny or Die, bypassing TV talk show titans like Jimmy Fallon or Jimmy Kimmel for an online audience. (AP Photo/Funny Or Die)

    Obama’s ‘Ferns’ interview gets Emmy nod

  • ** FILE ** In this Nov. 12, 2013, file photo, actor Alec Baldwin leaves court in New York. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig, File)

    Alec Baldwin in talks to play Rob Ford-like mayor in new NBC drama