MONS, BELGIUM — Afghan forces soon will start taking charge of security for three-quarters of the nation's 28 million people, NATO's top military commander said Wednesday, a milestone as the country assumes the lead for protecting the majority of its population.
Navy Adm. James G. Stavridis also insisted that training of the Afghan army and police is proceeding very well despite attacks in which Afghan soldiers have turned their weapons on their U.S. and NATO partners.
"Very shortly we will announce further transition that will encompass 75 percent of the population," Adm. Stavridis said in an interview with the Associated Press.
He did not elaborate on the exact timing of the announcement.
NATO leaders are scheduled to meet in Chicago in May to map out a strategy to support the Afghan security forces after the withdrawal of most allied troops at the end of 2014. NATO forces already have handed over authority for about half the population, including the capital, in the first two tranches of a transition that started last year.
This is the first public prediction that, after the third phase occurs, Afghan security forces will be assuming the lead for protecting the majority of the population.
The war has been increasingly unpopular in both the United States and Europe, where governments are focused on cutting defense expenditures as part of wider austerity measures.
The NATO training mission has been hit hard recently by a series of attacks by members of the Afghan security forces.
Last month, a gunman killed two senior U.S. military advisers involved in the training program in an attack inside the Interior Ministry in Kabul. The Taliban has claimed responsibility for the killings, saying it was in retaliation for the burning of Korans at a U.S. base.
Adm. Stavridis said the target of more than 350,000 security force members will be achieved this summer, several months ahead of plans.
"The strategy is sound and is providing results," he said. "I [expect] good performance from the Afghan National Army [after 2014] ... they are a very proud army, led by experienced combat officers."
The process of transitioning to Afghan leadership was accelerated last year.
Instead of a six-stage process, the plan was changed to achieve the transition in five steps, with the last starting as early as mid-2013 instead of 2014 - when most NATO troops are scheduled to depart Afghanistan.
The issues of long-term funding for the force - estimated at more than $4 billion a year - and how contributions will be divided between coalition members and other donors remain unresolved.
"It's important that all ... [International Security Assistance Force] nations and other nations involved in international effort contribute to Afghan security forces post 2014," Adm. Stavridis said.
Adm. Stavridis, the first Navy admiral to serve as NATO's supreme commander, is part of the military and political team assembled by President Obama to conduct the war. The group includes Anders Fogh Rasmussen, NATO's civilian chief.
By Elaine Donnelly
Extending sexual misconduct to combat units
Independent voices from the TWT Communities
Entertainment News and Reviews from Washington, D.C. and beyond.
Columns from Voices around the World talking about the events, people, politics and social issues that concern us wherever, and whoever, we are.
Video reviews of today's hottest trends in Minecraft (servers and mods) along with a look at the latest video games with your host MCairsoft14 (alias Jerad Zad).
Covering the world of soccer, including the World Cup, Major League Soccer, D.C. United and the English Premier League and other interesting sporting events.
Benghazi: The anatomy of a scandal
Vietnam Memorial adds four names
Cinco de Mayo on the Mall
NRA kicks off annual convention