- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
- Michaels craft chain confirms hackers hit 3M customers
- Special Forces’ suicide rates hit record levels — casualties of ‘hard combat’
- Many Americans would quickly face financial hardship after losing job, poll shows
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford thanks supporters at re-election campaign bash
- Texas seizes polygamist Warren Jeffs’ 1,600-acre ranch
Cuban defector Yoenis Cespedes joins Athletics
He said he’d like to hit at least .280 but as far as power, all he had to say was, “I expect good numbers.”
Asked if he thinks he’ll miss his homeland, Cespedes said, “I have family members in the Dominican and that gives me a chance to have good communication with them.”
Amid all the buzz, one of his teammates wasn’t excited to watch him hit Sunday.
“To tell you the truth, I don’t really care about his BP,” fellow outfielder Jonny Gomes said. “I’ve played long enough to see some of the best BP not make it out of A-ball, you know? But yeah, I’m just curious to see his talents and how they come over into the game.”
Gomes said he knows all about being an outsider trying to fit in after playing winter ball in Mexico earlier in his career, so he said he expects Cespedes‘ adjustment to be more off the field than on it.
The stadium, he said, will be his sanctuary.
“At the end of the day, it’s still baseball,” Gomes said. “There’s nine innings, six outs to an inning, and the home runs count.”
Follow AP Sports Writer Arnie Melendrez Stapleton on Twitter: http://twitter.com/arniestapleton
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- With pot and e-cigarettes, Big Tobacco is just waiting to inhale emerging markets
- Hillary swoons at admitted illegal immigrant: 'Wow,' you're 'incredibly brave'
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Prosecutors seek arrest warrant for ferry captain in South Korea
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.