- Detroit porch shooting trial: Suspect says he didn’t know gun was loaded
- U.S. Navy admiral ‘receptive’ to giving Chinese counterpart a tour of carrier
- Islamic State orders female genital mutilation for Mosul girls, U.N. says
- Israeli fire hits U.N. facility in Gaza, killing 15
- Obama encourages ICE to stand down, say former border agents
- Pro-Palestinian protesters attack Israeli soccer team in Austria match
- Virginia police: 2 dead after storm at campground
- Ukrainian prime minister announces resignation
- House members question $17 billion VA request
- N.Y. Gov. Cuomo launches statewide task force to collect LGBT data
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Lockerbie bomber allowed to die free
Question of the Day
When the infamous Lockerbie bomber, Abdel Baset al-Megrahi, was released on “compassionate grounds” by the justice-blind Scots in August 2009, the world was told he was “near death.” Well, he has only now passed away, nearly three years later (“Convicted Lockerbie bomber buried in Libya,” Web, Monday).
I suppose those in the government of Scotland behind this scheme have a different interpretation of the words “near death” than reasonable people do. I hope they are happy that they were able to afford a ruthless mass murderer years of freedom: the ability to breathe fresh air and to spend time with his family, the things that were denied to those he slaughtered and their families, upon whom he imposed a life sentence of pain, grief and misery.
OREN M. SPIEGLER
Upper St. Clair, Pa.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
Get Breaking Alerts
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Whistleblowers flood VA with lawsuits despite apology
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- Obama dispatches researchers to border to check on National Guard
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Astronaut shares 'saddest photo' from space: Bombs bursting over Israel, Gaza
- Conservative groups decry Democrats' 'war on women' tactic