- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
- CIA admits $3 billion intelligence operation was a flop
- ‘127 Hours’ author Aron Lee Ralston, who amputated arm in canyon, arrested in Denver
- Men posing as cops break into home of former deputy
- Berkshire County eschews greenback for own currency — BerkShares
- Hagel warns Pakistani leaders of U.S. aid losses over drone-strike protests
- Florida authorities ban autistic boy from owning therapeutic chickens
- Defendant in Lee Rigby machete murder trial: ‘I love al Qaeda’
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, ‘cherry-picked’ intelligence: report
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a ‘wealthy white men’ racist word
Mary Laver, wife of Rod Laver, dies at 84
SAN DIEGO (AP) - Mary Laver, wife of tennis great Rod Laver, has died after a long illness. She was 84.
Rod Laver said Tuesday that Mary Laver died Monday morning at their home in Carlsbad in northern San Diego County.
They were married for 46 years and had one son, Rick, who was born three weeks after Laver won the Grand Slam in 1969. The Australian-born Laver is the only person to have won the Grand Slam twice, the first coming in 1962.
"We had a wonderful life together," Laver said. "We did a lot of traveling, a lot of tennis tournaments, tennis events."
The family is planning a private memorial service.
Mary Bensen was born in DeKalb, Ill., on Jan. 23, 1928. Laver said they met at the Jack Kramer Club in the Los Angeles area and were married on June 20, 1966, in San Rafael, Calif.
She had three children from a previous marriage.
The Lavers have lived in San Diego County for 11 years. Rod Laver is 74.
By Brahma Chellaney
Beijing's creeping aggression signals a challenge to U.S. presence in the Asian Pacific
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- Tech companies call for an end to NSA online snooping
- WOLF: The president's other Obamacare lies
- Satanists petition for statue at Oklahoma Statehouse
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Politics, economics, and business from a real world perspective.
Ever wondered why people have such trouble getting along?
A politically conservative and morally liberal Hebrew alpha male hunts left-wing viper
Taking a deeper look at the undeniable connection between mind and body from a writer and speaker on matters of health, and a practitioner of Christian Science.
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow