- Israel accused of striking U.N. school, killing at least 15
- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Middle Eastern firm’s deal to manage U.S. cargo port raises security concerns
- Bob McDonnell’s defense: Lonely wife developed ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House Republicans unveil bill to speed deportations of border children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
Top officials on airports board face Hill scrutiny
Question of the Day
Mr. Connolly and Rep. Frank Wolf, Virginia Republican, are sponsoring legislation that would shrink the airports board from 17 members to nine, and give Virginia control over a majority of the appointments.
The committee chairman, Rep. John Mica, Florida Republican, said Mr. Connolly makes “a pretty good case.” But D.C. Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton opposed what she said would amount to a takeover of the board by Virginia. She noted a recent compromise last year that expanded the board by four members and gave Virginia two of those slots.
She said she is sympathetic to the notion that Virginia wants to control its own affairs but said the District needs a say in how the airports used by its residents are managed.
“You want to talk about home rule? Let’s start with the District of Columbia. Then we’ll get to Virginia,” Ms. Norton said.
TWT Video Picks
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Kerry's credibility questioned as fighting in Gaza rages
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell's wife had 'crush' on CEO
- McCLAUGHRY: Finish off the "Islamic State" quickly and cheaply
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world