- Obama downplays IRS scandal, blames Obamacare rollout on ‘outdated’ agencies
- Pregnancies decline overall, up among older women
- Pentagon plans to destroy Syrian chemical arms on ship at sea
- Paris Metro issues ‘politeness manual’ to improve passengers’ behavior
- Justin Bieber, crew detained at Australian airport in drug search
- Lee Rigby trial: Muslim who machete-hacked soldier calls it ‘humane’ kill
- GM ending Chevy sales in Europe to focus on Opel and Vauxhall
- Putin’s diplomats to U.S. busted for living high life off $1.5M bilked from Medicaid
- Happy Meal: Couple goes to McDonald’s, leaves with bag packed with cash
- Boehner: It took me 3 to 4 hours to sign up for Obamacare
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Sacrificing lives for political skin
President Obama recently went on television and told the American people that "we did everything we could to secure those Americans who were still in harm's way" at the U.S. facilities in Benghazi, Libya. That, we recently learned, was a brazen lie.
We now know that urgent and repeated requests from the besieged Americans in Benghazi for military aid were summarily denied by the White House. No attempt was made to follow standard military protocol for rescue missions. That protocol, according to a top military adviser who recently appeared on Fox News, requires military commanders to launch rescue and attack aircraft immediately and to make decisions about engagement en route to the target. If that protocol had been followed, jet aircraft could have been over the target within 20 minutes of the start of the terrorist attack, AC-130 gunships could have arrived within an hour of the attack's inception, and boots could have been on the ground shortly after that.
Nonetheless, Mr. Obama apparently chose not to give the order to deploy the rescue and attack forces to Benghazi. He doubtless considered the negative impact such a decision would have on his re-election bid if the rescue team failed and suffered substantial casualties. It seems he decided to sacrifice the lives of valiant Americans in order to save his political skin. In the final analysis, Mr. Obama has lost his honor, and the Benghazi tragedy has become a national disgrace.
HARRISON E. MCCANDLISH
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Why such hatred toward America's freedom of religion?
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality: liberal group
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- Activists encourage Obama to circumvent Congress, use more executive authority
- Obama: Nelson Mandela now 'belongs to the ages'
- NAPOLITANO: Pope Francis should be saving souls, not pocketbooks
- GOP launches candidate training: How to talk to women
- Increase in battlefield deaths linked to new rules of engagement in Afghanistan
- Hack attack: 2 million Facebook, Twitter passwords stolen
- Russian diplomats busted bilking $1.5 million from Medicaid
- Democratic infighting erupts over 'we can have it all' fantasy on entitlements