- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Middle Eastern firm’s deal to manage U.S. cargo port raises security concerns
- Bob McDonnell’s defense: Lonely wife developed ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House Republicans unveil bill to speed deportations of border children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Sacrificing lives for political skin
Question of the Day
President Obama recently went on television and told the American people that "we did everything we could to secure those Americans who were still in harm's way" at the U.S. facilities in Benghazi, Libya. That, we recently learned, was a brazen lie.
We now know that urgent and repeated requests from the besieged Americans in Benghazi for military aid were summarily denied by the White House. No attempt was made to follow standard military protocol for rescue missions. That protocol, according to a top military adviser who recently appeared on Fox News, requires military commanders to launch rescue and attack aircraft immediately and to make decisions about engagement en route to the target. If that protocol had been followed, jet aircraft could have been over the target within 20 minutes of the start of the terrorist attack, AC-130 gunships could have arrived within an hour of the attack's inception, and boots could have been on the ground shortly after that.
Nonetheless, Mr. Obama apparently chose not to give the order to deploy the rescue and attack forces to Benghazi. He doubtless considered the negative impact such a decision would have on his re-election bid if the rescue team failed and suffered substantial casualties. It seems he decided to sacrifice the lives of valiant Americans in order to save his political skin. In the final analysis, Mr. Obama has lost his honor, and the Benghazi tragedy has become a national disgrace.
HARRISON E. MCCANDLISH
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- McCLAUGHRY: Finish off the "Islamic State" quickly and cheaply
- New York Times reporter Carol Vogel accused of plagiarism
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- ISIL destroys key bridge leading to Baghdad; suicide truck bomb severed supply line