- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Sacrificing lives for political skin
President Obama recently went on television and told the American people that "we did everything we could to secure those Americans who were still in harm's way" at the U.S. facilities in Benghazi, Libya. That, we recently learned, was a brazen lie.
We now know that urgent and repeated requests from the besieged Americans in Benghazi for military aid were summarily denied by the White House. No attempt was made to follow standard military protocol for rescue missions. That protocol, according to a top military adviser who recently appeared on Fox News, requires military commanders to launch rescue and attack aircraft immediately and to make decisions about engagement en route to the target. If that protocol had been followed, jet aircraft could have been over the target within 20 minutes of the start of the terrorist attack, AC-130 gunships could have arrived within an hour of the attack's inception, and boots could have been on the ground shortly after that.
Nonetheless, Mr. Obama apparently chose not to give the order to deploy the rescue and attack forces to Benghazi. He doubtless considered the negative impact such a decision would have on his re-election bid if the rescue team failed and suffered substantial casualties. It seems he decided to sacrifice the lives of valiant Americans in order to save his political skin. In the final analysis, Mr. Obama has lost his honor, and the Benghazi tragedy has become a national disgrace.
HARRISON E. MCCANDLISH
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- FISHER: Shades of Berlin in the South China Sea
- HURT: Wilson and Obama ... 100 years apart, but so alike
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- U.S. military on high alert as Ukraine troops trade gunfire with pro-Russian militants
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support demonstrates voters' distrust
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare disasters were avoidable
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Muhammad wouldn't condone Boston bombing
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: High heels: Hazardous to one's health?
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Marshall's comments hurt GOP, pro-lifers