- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
- Foreign minister vows response if Russians are attacked in Ukraine
- Robert Griffin III to drive pace car before Richmond NASCAR race
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
Guide to TV DVD sets as holiday gifts
A TV show DVD set represents more than a holiday gift that’s easy to wrap. It also demonstrates respect: you know the recipient is mentally fit and couch-ready for a viewing marathon of “Dr. Who” or “House.”
Those are among the new releases worth considering for the TV lover in your life:
_”The Dean Martin Variety Show: Dean’s Ultimate Collection,” Time Life. Ring-a-ding-ding! This is Dino’s most comprehensive collection yet. With footage culled from nine seasons and 48 episodes of the NBC series, the set includes 17 DVDs with 32 hours of Dean and his pals that originally aired from 1965 to 1974. There are more than 300 musical performances, plus interviews and a guest list filled with virtually every major star of the era.
_”Poldark: The Complete Collection,” Acorn Media. Less posh than “Downton Abbey” but just as addictive when it first aired in the 1970s, “Poldark” is a darkly romantic saga set in late 18th-century Cornwall. Robin Ellis is the dashing Poldark, with Angharad Rees as the feisty servant who loves him in this eight-disc set.
_”iCarly: The Complete 4th Season,” Nickelodeon. The series about teens making the most of youth and technology is bidding farewell after five years, but there will always be season four and its guest appearance by first lady Michelle Obama. A bonus: five episodes of the new Nick series “How to Rock.”
_”The Magic School Bus: The Complete Series,” Scholastic. This set brings together all 52 episodes of the animated science series, including 30 episodes available for purchase for the first time. Featuring the voices of Lily Tomlin, Wynonna Judd, Dolly Parton and more, the collection includes a guide for kids as well as a parents’ guide with lessons and learning plans.
THE SPORTING LIFE
_”The San Francisco Giants 2012 World Series Collector’s Edition,” Major League Baseball. This eight-disc collection includes all four games of the Fall Classic, two games from the postseason, and Matt Cain’s perfect regular-season victory over the Houston Astros _ the first perfect game in the 129-year history of the Giants.
_”Holiday Exclusive 2012 London Olympics DVD Set,” NBC Universal. The two-disc set includes one spotlighting American stars at the Summer Games and another focusing on the gymnastics competition. But there’s more: the mind-blowing Opening Ceremony staged by filmmaker Danny Boyle and a bonus commemorative pin!
_”Poirot: The Early Cases Collection,” Acorn Media. Agatha Christie’s most famous sleuth (he of the penguin-like gait and the stiff waxed mustache) is on the case in 45 whodunits from the first six series of the TV phenomenon starring David Suchet in the title role.
_”House: The Complete Series,” Universal Studios. Everybody lies, according to the acerbic Dr. House. But this is no lie: Here’s the full caseload _ all eight seasons of “House, M.D.” _ with every startling diagnosis and every insult from TV’s most patience-trying doc, played by Hugh Laurie. The collection includes 41 discs with all 176 episodes, plus a 24-page souvenir booklet.
REALLY BIG PICTURE
TWT Video Picks
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- Georgia governor signs bill expanding gun rights
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- Professor apologizes after blasting Republicans in class
- Harry Reid using tax dollars to fight Koch brothers, La. GOP chair charges
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014