- - Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Broadway superstar Audra McDonald is adding a new chapter to her long history with Lincoln Center. The singer-actress is the new host of “Live From Lincoln Center,” the center said Tuesday.

Miss McDonald will emcee seven broadcasts from December through spring 2013, starting Dec. 13 with “The Richard Tucker Opera Gala” and Dec. 31 with the New York Philharmonic’s New Year’s Eve gala.

“It’s a great honor. I’m thrilled that they came to me and trusted me to do it,” said Miss McDonald, 42, whose five Tony Awards include a trophy this year for “The Gershwins’ Porgy and Bess.”

Her memories of the performing arts complex in Manhattan run deep.

“I remember watching Beverly Sills broadcasting from [the center’s Metropolitan Opera House] on my PBS channel at my home in Fresno,” Miss McDonald said, adding that she was amazed at the venue’s size and “inspired by the music.”

Beyonce is both subject and director of an HBO documentary to premiere Feb. 16. It will include home videos, performances and footage she shot with her laptop. (Associated Press)
Beyonce is both subject and director of an HBO documentary to premiere ... more >

As a high school student, she had a chance to visit the center and recalled thinking, “This is where I want to be some day.”

Miss McDonald, who starred in “Private Practice” as Dr. Naomi Bennett, has performed on the long-running PBS showcase several times, including programs with Elvis Costello, Patti LuPone and the New York Philharmonic.

She will be working especially hard on New Year’s Eve when she hosts and performs in the holiday program, “One Singular Sensation: Celebrating Marvin Hamlisch.”

“We’ll see if I fall down by the end of the evening, or by the middle,” she said lightly.

“Live From Lincoln Center” is in its 37th broadcast season. In recent years, artists and actors including Yo-Yo Ma and Alec Baldwin have filled the host’s job, which previously saw long tenures by famed opera singer Sills and TV personality Hugh Downs.

BBC’s ‘Sherlock’ getting delayed start on next season

Expecting the return of “Sherlock” next summer?

Try late 2013. Perhaps even 2014, depending on where you live.

Start of production on the third cycle of the fan-adored detective drama has been moved from January to March. Sources say the shift was necessary to accommodate the busy schedules of the show’s breakout stars, Benedict Cumberbatch (who’s in “Star Trek 2”) and Martin Freeman (starring in “The Hobbit”).

The BBC has not announced a premiere date for season three, but given that January was announced previously as the start of production, fans hoped to see Holmes and Watson return in the summer. Sources say the BBC will air the season three in late 2013. A PBS spokesman said “Sherlock” will air in either late 2013 — or early 2014 — because PBS has to wait until the BBC airs the series.

Story Continues →