- House passes VA reform compromise
- Obama admin to blame for HealthCare.gov woes, $840M cost: GAO
- Al Gore’s climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Army’s 3-D printed bombs will create ‘a whole new universe’ of deadly capabilities
- Hamas calls on Hezbollah to join in fight against Israel
- Senators to FIFA, others: Don’t reward Putin with the World Cup in 2018
- U.S. condemns Israeli shelling of shelter in Gaza
- Obamacare shoots premiums up by 88 percent in California
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Obama to Republicans: ‘Stop just hatin’ all the time’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: ‘Tax the rich’ won’t grow economy
Question of the Day
In round numbers, the United States has averaged growth of about 3 percent gross domestic product since World War II. What would happen over a lifetime of 78 years if this average were to drop to 2 percent? You would experience a 53 percent drop in the economic improvement you would expect to see over your lifetime as compared to what your parents saw. This lost growth would manifest itself in numerous ways, but basically it would mean you would not see the same improvement in quality of life or life expectancy that your parents saw.
Wait — it gets worse. You could make a very good case for 1 percent growth going forward, but not 2 percent or even 3 percent. An aging population means fewer people employed. A dysfunctional immigration system means fewer legal immigrants, and considering the dysfunctional education system, a decline in productivity is not too hard to imagine.
Of course, 1 percent growth is better than zero percent, which was the case throughout human history before the Industrial Revolution. If you are young and think you can fix your predicament with a tweak of marginal tax rates on the rich, well, good luck with that. This is your sustainable, environmentally friendly, politically correct future you just got socked with and probably got duped into voting for (assuming you are old enough to vote).
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Emails reveal an ugly American abroad out to bring down conservatives
Get Breaking Alerts
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- HURT: Impeaching Obama is a losing strategy for the GOP
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Stop silence on relocations of illegal aliens
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: If Israeli laid down its arms
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Temple Mount is still Judaism's holiest site
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Laws should target criminals, not the law-abiding
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Politics and corruption driving water woes