- N.Y. prosecutors: Russian diplomats bilked $1.5 million from Medicaid
- Happy Meal: Couple goes to McDonald’s, leaves with bag packed with cash
- Boehner: It took me 3 to 4 hours to sign up for Obamacare
- Oh my God! Costco lists Bible as fiction, Ron Burgundy memoir as gospel
- Sarah Palin responds to Martin Bashir’s resignation, praises media
- Obama to send 2 Gitmo terror suspects back to Algeria
- Paul Walker secretly bought $9K wedding ring for Iraq vet
- Mystery sign poster hits Washington state town: ‘It’s OK to say Merry Christmas’
- Pope Francis forms commission to advise on sex abuse
- Anthony Weiner on radio? Cumulus says, ‘Never, ever’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: ‘Tax the rich’ won’t grow economy
In round numbers, the United States has averaged growth of about 3 percent gross domestic product since World War II. What would happen over a lifetime of 78 years if this average were to drop to 2 percent? You would experience a 53 percent drop in the economic improvement you would expect to see over your lifetime as compared to what your parents saw. This lost growth would manifest itself in numerous ways, but basically it would mean you would not see the same improvement in quality of life or life expectancy that your parents saw.
Wait — it gets worse. You could make a very good case for 1 percent growth going forward, but not 2 percent or even 3 percent. An aging population means fewer people employed. A dysfunctional immigration system means fewer legal immigrants, and considering the dysfunctional education system, a decline in productivity is not too hard to imagine.
Of course, 1 percent growth is better than zero percent, which was the case throughout human history before the Industrial Revolution. If you are young and think you can fix your predicament with a tweak of marginal tax rates on the rich, well, good luck with that. This is your sustainable, environmentally friendly, politically correct future you just got socked with and probably got duped into voting for (assuming you are old enough to vote).
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Get Breaking Alerts
- CURL: 'Mission Accomplished' for Obamacare
- Hack attack: 2 million Facebook, Twitter passwords stolen
- Obama returns to class warfare as poll numbers plunge
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality: liberal group
- NAPOLITANO: Pope Francis should be saving souls, not pocketbooks
- Democratic infighting erupts over 'we can have it all' fantasy on entitlements
- Inside China: Nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S.
- American teacher shot and killed at Benghazi international school
- U.S. drops 2,000 mice on Guam by parachute to kill snakes
- At minimum, a bad deal