- Al Sharpton, Trayvon Martin’s parents rally against Fla. ‘stand your ground’ law
- Hillary Clinton campaign got illicit funds from D.C. scandal figure
- Obama administration backs off plan to cut prescription-drug program
- Tickets linked to stolen passports purchased by Iranian middleman
- More than 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Ottawa day care suspends 2-year-old for ‘outside’ cheese sandwich
- Liam Neeson tells NYC mayor to ‘man up’ in horse carriage fight
- Real-life Dr. Doolittle to reveal how to talk to animals
- Climate change could bring back smallpox, researchers say
- Shoe-bomb witness to speak from London at N.Y. trial
Mediators fail to help in NHL labor fight
NEW YORK (AP) - If the NHL and the players’ association are going to make a deal to save the hockey season, they are likely going to have to do it by themselves.
A pair of federal mediators tried to help for two days, but even they couldn’t bring the fighting sides closer to a compromise.
Two members from the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service joined the discussions on Wednesday and Thursday and failed to make a breakthrough. Now the owners and players are back on their own to somehow find a compromise.
The bottom line is that, 75 days into the owners’ lockout of players, there is no end in sight. The lockout has already forced the cancellation of games through Dec. 14, the New Year’s Day Winter Classic, and the All-Star weekend in January.
By David Keene
Conference showed that the values Reagan cherished still endure
- FCC targets black conservative in TV station fight
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- CARNES: Kissinger's flawed and offensive analysis of Ukraine
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Atheists sue to remove 'Ground Zero Cross' from 9/11 museum
- George Zimmerman signs autographs at Orlando gun show
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again