- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
HSBC Champions to become PGA Tour event
SHENZHEN, CHINA (AP) - Organizers said Sunday that the HSBC Champions will become an official PGA Tour event next year.
They added that the total purse at the World Golf Championship event will increase to $8.5 million from the current $7 million.
The event is currently the only one of the four WGC events not fully recognized by the PGA Tour. A win is only considered a PGA Tour victory if the winner is a PGA Tour member, but the prize money is not counted toward the player's PGA Tour money list.
PGA Tour Commissioner Tim Finchem said starting next year, the HSBC Champions will be elevated to the same status as the other three WGC events _ the Accenture Match Play Championship, the Cadillac Championship and the Bridgestone Invitational. All three of those events are played in the United States.
FedEx Cup points will be awarded with the same 10 percent premium offered by the other WGC events and prize money will be counted as official money on the PGA Tour. The winner will receive a three-year exemption on the PGA Tour.
Organizers also announced that the tournament will return to Shanghai permanently in 2013 after being held this year at Missing Hill Golf Club in Shenzhen. All seven previous HSBC Champions tournaments had been held at Sheshan International Golf Club in Shanghai.
By Tom Fitton
New photos confirm the attack's coordination and its cover-up
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Israeli P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu backs out of Nelson Mandela funeral
- FITTON: A closer look at the Benghazi lie
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- 'Dude, I'm dreading that I will have to go': Czech prime minister on Mandela funeral
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Crystal Wright is a black conservative woman living in Washington, D.C.
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch
Why can’t humans just be free to be humans?
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow