- White House: No choice but to act now on climate change
- HHS: ‘Donut hole’ reforms saved Medicare enrollees $11.5 billion since 2010
- Boston-area tornado rips 100 homes: ‘Are we in Kansas?’
- Rush Limbaugh: ‘There is no journalism anymore’
- Scott Brown struggles for political traction in New Hampshire Senate race
- California’s Jerry Brown cites God, ‘religious call’ to embrace illegals
- Hamid Karzai’s cousin killed by suicide bomber at Eid al-Fitr party
- Obama thanks Muslims for ‘building the very fabric of our nation’
- Israel flattens home of top Hamas leader, takes out power plant
- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Health care no exception to free-market rule
Question of the Day
I just returned from another in a seemingly endless series of panels and seminars that address the upcoming Obamacare implementation. One phrase I kept hearing was that our goal is to achieve "high-quality health care at the lowest possible cost." Is that not the same goal for everything we purchase, whether it be computers, cellphones, automobiles, homes, food or anything else?
With respect to all the items on that list except health care, we have achieved this goal -- through the free enterprise system and competition. Why do we think that high-quality, affordable health care is an exception to this rule and will be achieved through a government-run program? It will not. We need to go back to a system that we know has worked and that has made us the richest nation in the world. The answer to high-quality, cost-effective health care lies in the free market, not in Washington.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- EPSTEIN: All IRS roads lead to the archivist
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- PRUDEN: When the hangman botches the job
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia's gay marriage ban
- KEENE: Thinking outside nanny-state box with Paul Ryan
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'