- Pregnancies decline overall, up among older women
- Pentagon plans to destroy Syrian chemical arms on ship at sea
- Paris Metro issues ‘politeness manual’ to improve passengers’ behavior
- Justin Bieber, crew detained at Australian airport in drug search
- Lee Rigby trial: Muslim who machete-hacked soldier calls it ‘humane’ kill
- GM ending Chevy sales in Europe to focus on Opel and Vauxhall
- Putin’s diplomats to U.S. busted for living high life off $1.5M bilked from Medicaid
- Happy Meal: Couple goes to McDonald’s, leaves with bag packed with cash
- Boehner: It took me 3 to 4 hours to sign up for Obamacare
- Oh my God! Costco lists Bible as fiction, Ron Burgundy memoir as gospel
A-Rod benched by Yankees for Game 5 vs Orioles
“I ain’t worried about years ahead. Just let me worry about today,” Girardi said. “The best relationships, the strongest relationships, are always relationships that go through some struggles. Relationships just aren’t perfect. I mean, you put a husband and wife together where the relationship was just perfect without any struggles, and you’re probably not living on this planet. So relationships go through that.
“So, I mean if things have to be, you know, built back up, we can do that. I have had to do that before. So I don’t worry about that.”
Fifth on the career list with 647 home runs _ 115 behind Barry Bonds’ record _ Rodriguez has been slowed by five trips to the disabled list in five seasons: for a strained quadriceps (2008), hip surgery (2009), a strained calf (2010), knee surgery (2011) and a broken hand, sustained July 24 when hit by a pitch from Seattle’s Felix Hernandez.
Before the start of spring training in 2009, he admitting using performance-enhancing drugs while he was with the Texas Rangers from 2001-03.
As for the rest of the Yankees’ lineup, Derek Jeter was back at shortstop after being moved to DH for a game because of a sore left foot. Jeter led off, followed by left fielder Ichiro Suzuki, second baseman Robinson Cano, first baseman Mark Teixeira, Ibanez, right fielder Nick Swisher, center fielder Curtis Granderson, catcher Russell Martin and Chavez.
Yankees ace CC Sabathia was on the mound. He led the Yankees to a 7-2 win in the opener.
Girardi decided against benching Granderson, who is 1 for 16 (.063) with nine strikeouts in the series. He did not want to start Brett Gardner, who has been limited to three at-bats since mid-April because of an elbow injury that required surgery.
“If Grandy stays in his zone, he will be fine,” Girardi said. “That’s the big thing he has to concentrate on.”
AP Sports Writer Howie Rumberg contributed to this report.
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality: liberal group
- CARSON: Getting to the top by starting at the bottom
- Hack attack: 2 million Facebook, Twitter passwords stolen
- Obama returns to class warfare as poll numbers plunge
- Russian diplomats busted bilking $1.5 million from Medicaid
- NAPOLITANO: Pope Francis should be saving souls, not pocketbooks
- CURL: 'Mission Accomplished' for Obamacare
- Democratic infighting erupts over 'we can have it all' fantasy on entitlements
- Inside China: Nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S.
- President Obama acknowledges living with illegal immigrant uncle: report
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch
Entertainment News and Reviews from Washington, D.C. and beyond.
White House pets gone wild!