- Associated Press - Wednesday, October 17, 2012

DENVER — Five people were found dead in a neighborhood bar where a fire broke out early Wednesday, and police think the blaze was set to cover up their slayings.

The fire at Fero’s Bar & Grill was reported around closing time at 2 a.m., Police Chief Robert White said.

Firefighters found four women and one man dead inside the bar. Police don’t think they were killed in the fire.

“The business has obviously been set on fire, an arson, I’m guessing, to mask the homicide that occurred inside,” said police Commander Ronald Saunier.

“There is just trauma, enough information to believe that we have a homicide that occurred here. They didn’t perish in the fire,” he said.

The fire didn’t appear to be a very large one. No damage to the bar was visible from the street or aerial news coverage.

The bar is located in a strip mall about five miles south of downtown Denver just outside of the tony Cherry Creek North shopping district on one of the city’s busiest streets, Colorado Boulevard. In listings in Denver’s alternative weekly, Westword, Fero’s is described as a “longstanding dive” that attracts regulars as well as people staying in nearby hotels. It shares the strip mall with a check cashing store and a car repair shop.

The bar’s owners couldn’t immediately be reached for comment. No one answered the door at the Aurora home of Young Fero, listed in state records as one of the owners of the bar. A sign on the door read, “Day sleeper, please don’t ring the doorbell! Thank you.” It was signed “The sleeper.”

Neighbor Mike Spinale described Fero as “really nice.”

“She didn’t speak much, but I know she owned a bar and she worked all the time,” Spinale said. “She told me she did everything herself.”

Young Fero’s ex-husband, Danny Fero, said he went to the scene Wednesday and talked with police, but he wasn’t asked to identify any of the bodies. He said he did not know who might have been at the bar Wednesday morning.

“She always worked late and closed the bar,” he said.

He doesn’t know if she was one of the victims.

Danny Fero said he talked with her about a month ago regarding a visit with their daughter, but his ex-wife made no mention of any threats. He said he was shocked by the events at the bar he once co-owned with her.

“I wanted to make myself available to police as soon as possible,” Danny Fero said, adding police asked him not to discuss other details of the case.

Story Continues →