- Biden to lead $600 million work force training effort
- Atheists’ Easter taunt to Christians: ‘Jesus is a myth’
- Miley Cyrus hospitalized, cancels Kansas City show
- Josh Romney swipes Harry Reid with photo tweet of dad paying taxes — ‘your paycheck’
- Despite Obamacare problems, some Dems want Sebelius to run for Senate: report
- Angry New Yorkers shred gun registrations in deadline day protests
- Uninsured rate dropping faster in places that embraced pillars of Obamacare, survey shows
- Hawaii, D.C. give residents two more weeks to sign up under Obamacare
- Climate change causing fish to lose their minds, researchers say
- Great Britain tops World’s Most Sexist Nation list
KUHNER: Obama backers threaten postelection violence
Grievance politics have set the stage for mayhem
President Obama's supporters are threatening riots and violence should he be defeated in November. Mr. Obama is in deep trouble. He was trounced by his Republican rival, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, in the first presidential debate. Since then, Mr. Obama's aura of invincibility -- carefully cultivated by the establishment media -- has been shattered. He has been exposed as an incompetent and arrogant socialist whose policies have failed to revive the economy. His angry second debate performance did not reverse his downward trajectory. His followers are now panicking. Some are demanding that blood flow in the streets should he lose the election. Hope and change have given way to rage and fury.
Last weekend, thousands of pro-Obama Twitter account users vowed to start a race war if Mr. Obama is not re-elected. Many pledged to burn down homes and shops. Laden with obscenities and racist language against whites, the tweets reveal the radical left's anti-democratic, thuggish nature. "If Obama don't [sic] win lets [sic] start a riot so Romney know [sic] what he's getting himself into," wrote one. Another tweet stated: "If Romney wins im [sic] goin [sic] on a rampage." There were countless such threats, most of them much more vile, graphic and chilling -- not fit for publication in a newspaper.
After the second debate, there was an explosion of tweets calling for Mr. Romney to be killed if he wins in November. "Already planning my attack," said one. "Somebody should assassinate Romney," wrote another. Besides Fox News and the Drudge Report, however, major media outlets have refused to even mention the story. The reason is simple: It shows -- in stark, irrefutable detail -- the intolerance and hatred of many liberals. Contrary to myth, revolutionary violence has been an intrinsic part of socialism's march to power. Vladimir Lenin, Josef Stalin, Adolf Hitler, Mao Zedong, Pol Pot, Fidel Castro and Hugo Chavez -- together they have slaughtered tens of millions in the service of their ideology. In America, it has been predominantly the left and not the right that has engaged in heinous acts. Timothy McVeigh is the obvious exception. The Weather Underground, the Black Panthers, the Nation of Islam, the Unabomber, eco-terrorists and the Occupy Wall Street movement, however, have championed violence to advance their anti-capitalist, anti-American agenda.
The establishment media's hypocrisy is stunning. Imagine if the situation were reversed: Three weeks prior to the election, thousands of Romney supporters threatened to not only riot, but also assassinate the president should their candidate lose. The national uproar would be deafening. The New York Times, the Washington Post, National Public Radio, the Associated Press, along with Democratic media hacks such as Chris Matthews, Rachel Maddow, Brian Williams, Katie Couric, Diane Sawyer, Bob Schieffer, David Gregory and Wolf Blitzer (and many others) would be screaming for Mr. Romney and the GOP to disavow those comments. They would be right. Yet now, when it comes to threats against Mr. Romney, there is only silence.
Since the birth of the Tea Party, the liberal media have desperately sought to portray the movement as racist and extremist -- a sanitized version of the Ku Klux Klan. Signs at Tea Party rallies comparing Mr. Obama to the Joker were denounced as menacing. Several placards stating that Mr. Obama's big-government policies equaled the Soviet hammer and sickle were deemed incendiary. Many liberals to this day -- without a shred of evidence -- continue to maintain the fiction that the n-word was spewed against black members of Congress at a rally just prior to the passage of Obamacare. For nearly four years, the press corps has peddled one overriding narrative: Opposition to Mr. Obama is based on white bigotry.
Hence, it should come as no surprise that by relentlessly injecting racial vitriol, Democrats and their media allies have sown the seeds of widespread fear and loathing among swaths of Obama supporters. Just recently, the Obama campaign's co-chairman, actress Eva Longoria, made her brilliant case for the president. "I have no idea why any woman/minority can vote for Romney," her tweet read. "You have to be stupid to vote for such a racist/misogynistic" individual.
According to the deranged left, Mr. Romney is the second coming of George Wallace.
Race-baiting also has been practiced by senior administration officials, including Mr. Obama. Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. charges that voter identification laws are akin to "poll taxes" once used by Southern segregationists to deny blacks the right to vote. Mr. Holder -- reinforced by the Congressional Black Caucus -- even claims that Republicans are engaged in systematic efforts at "voter suppression." The president has fanned the flames of racial division by needlessly and prematurely passing judgment on the Trayvon Martin shooting case. He has referred to his critics as "enemies" who should be "punished." In short, the administration has fractured America along racial, gender and class lines.
The results are predictable and ominous: Many of Mr. Obama's supporters are seething with racial grievances. Riots after elections happen in Guatemala or Greece -- not in America, where power is transferred peacefully. By refusing to denounce these threats of violence, Democratic leaders and the mainstream press corps are jeopardizing the very sinews of our republic.
Jeffrey T. Kuhner is a columnist at The Washington Times and host of "The Kuhner Report" on WRKO AM-680 (www.wrko.com) in Boston.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
TWT Video Picks
By returning to Christian roots, the nation can achieve greatness once again
Get Breaking Alerts
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- HURT: Wilson and Obama ... 100 years apart, but so alike
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Al Qaeda mocks U.S. in 'extraordinary' Yemen gathering; experts fear CIA caught flat-footed
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Solution to Cyprus dispute is no 'mistake'
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama's real wealth redistribution scheme
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare numbers nothing to celebrate
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Unanswered bus-crash questions
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Lerner won't face meaningful punishment