- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Big plays against Redskins come at an alarming rate
From a personnel standpoint, the Redskins signed strong safety Brandon Meriweather and free safety Tanard Jackson to replace LaRon Landry and Oshiomogho Atogwe, respectively.
Meriweather hasn’t played because of a sprained left knee. Jackson, who was suspended in Tampa Bay under Morris‘ watch for violating the league’s substance abuse policy, was suspended indefinitely in September for the same offense.
So Plan A never materialized, and Plan B hasn’t been successful enough to protect late leads against St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Atlanta, Minnesota and now New York.
One striking irony is that the Redskins and the Chicago Bears are the only teams with an interception in every game this season. Williams was one of the heroes in last week’s win against Minnesota because of his interception return for a touchdown. Cruz’s run to the end zone erased that from memory.
The play re-established the pass defense as a liability, one that is threatening the Redskins‘ survival near the season’s halfway point.
“You get to pointing fingers, especially this early in the season, it’ll be a disaster,” nose tackle Barry Cofield said. “We’ve got to stick together. We’re still in the race.
“We’ve got to get some sacks, force some fumbles. We’ve got to do whatever it takes to limit these passing yards. Otherwise, we’re not going to be able to be successful.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- REDSKINS 2013: Breaking down the schedule, game by game
- NFL 2013: Ranking all 32 teams in terms of staying power
- REDSKINS 2013: Washington seeks staying power among NFL's elite
- With no blueprint, Redskin Hankerson seeks success as dad
- Redskins receiver Leonard Hankerson learning to manage family life with football career
Latest Blog Entries
By Tammy Bruce
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- IRS to turn over Lerner emails in tea party targeting probe
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- PRUDEN: Likening Putin to Hitler on Ukraine shows Hillary's shaky grasp of history
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again