- Rare lesbian HIV transmission case turns up in Texas
- Obama economy: Rich get richer, as millionaires’ list grows
- Army’s ‘Most Wanted’ fugitive on lam since 1977 nabbed in Florida
- ‘Seinfeld’-loving fraudsters busted on ID theft — of Eric Holder
- Spain, Morocco break up jihadist recruitment cell, arrest 7
- Muslim insurgents shoot then set on fire Buddhist teacher in Thailand
- Air Force cadets ‘revolt’ after officials remove biblical verse from whiteboard
- Rep. Lee: Paul Ryan out of touch with urban Americans
- House votes down resolution to force Issa to apologize
- Kremlin blocks opposition websites; Kasparov fears Putin plans ‘something drastic’
HICKS: LSU grabs Tiger by tail in altering ‘Posse’ picture
Here’s why: Cameron Cooke, one of the students in the photograph, was quoted in one media story as explaining, “The cross painting is important to me because it represents who I am as a Christ follower. And it reminds me who I need to act like in Death Valley,” referring to Tiger Stadium’s nickname.
In other words, the original photo reflects the authentic character of a member of the student body, as well as the freedom he feels to express his religious belief publicly on the campus of LSU.
That’s an awesome reflection of the atmosphere at a public university, where freedom of expression ought to be a hallmark of an educational institution.
Instead, LSU — tiptoeing through the minefield of political correctness, as so many colleges and universities now do — is choosing to earmark certain of its audiences as being appropriate for the “real” picture, while others must be treated with the kid gloves of PC accommodation.
We’re sending the wrong signal to young Americans when we teach them that their outward symbols of belief — religious or otherwise — should rightly be hidden in the interest of avoiding “offense.”
• Marybeth Hicks is the author of “Don’t Let the Kids Drink the Kool-Aid: Confronting the Left’s Assault on Our Families, Faith and Freedom.” Find her on the web at http://marybethhicks.com.
About the Author
TWT Video Picks
By Bob Dole
The industrious island has proved itself worthy of U.S. inclusion
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- F-35 secrets now showing up in Chinas stealth fighter
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- College group's diversity event canceled after excluding white people
- PRUDEN: Sink sank own campaign in Florida special election
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- U.S.: Malaysia plane's on-board communications purposely shut down
- EDITORIAL: Lois Lerner's dilemma
- USS Kidd sent to Indian Ocean after 'indication' of Malaysian jet crash
- Ben Carson: America's now 'very much like Nazi Germany'
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again