- The Washington Times - Friday, October 5, 2012

Two men suspected of involvement in last month’s lethal attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, have been arrested in Turkey, according to local media reports.

The unnamed suspects, said to be Tunisians, were arrested at Istanbul’s Ataturk airport as they tried to enter the country on false passports, the privately run TV station Kanal D reported.

The arrests were made Wednesday night by members of Turkey’s anti-terrorism squad, and the suspects were taken to the Istanbul Police Department in the city’s Fatih district for questioning, the Hurriyet newspaper reported on its website.

The State Department and the FBI had no immediate comment.


An FBI team spent several hours Thursday at the site of the Sept. 11 attack, which killed J. Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans, according to Defense Department spokesman George Little.

The team was airlifted to Benghazi by the U.S. military, which provided unspecified security arrangements for them, Mr. Little said.

It was the first time since the attack more than three weeks ago that U.S. investigators had made it to the crime scene.